Author Topic: WW1 1914/15 Star ?  (Read 997 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 1914/15 Star ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 May 23 17:01 BST (UK) »
It seems like a case of them not wanting the facts to get in the way of their version of events  ;D

The medal roll image you posted is of the BW & V Medals, so, if it existed, his 1914-15 Star listing would be separate.  I've searched the 1914-15 Medal Rolls on Ancestry using just 3492 and the regiment name, and there are two in the A&S Highlanders neither of whom are called Duncan McIsaac (Fenwick, James L and Cochrane, James). 

All I can suggest is that you try researching others with service numbers near to his in the A&SH to see if any of their attestation papers exist showing the date of their enlistment and that would provide a likely date for his enlistment. 

However, it seems likely that whatever you do, the family will still cling to their version of events, so you may not "win" this one!

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 May 23 17:16 BST (UK) »
Cheers for your Input
I checked all those listed on that Medal page from 3432 to 3492 they all had British War Medal and Victory Medal Only under those numbers and no 1914/15 Star so obviously they all went Overseas 1916 et seq
They insist the Army has made a Mistake for them all and Omitted their Star
I tried to help by advising them that they are looking for a Medal that doesn't exist.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 May 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
His Medal Index Card (image courtesy of Ancestry) shows his first number in the Argylls as 3492, this was a Territorial number. Under Army Council Instruction (ACI) 2414 of 1916, published on 23 December 1916, all TF infantry men were given a new 6 digit service number with effect from 1 March 1917.

His second number, 301303, was in a block of numbers (300001 to 325000) that was allocated to the 8th Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. His Medal Rolls entry confirms that he was in the 8th Battalion.

The Argyll and Sutherland Territorial Force consisted of the following in WW1:-

The 1/5th (Renfrewshire) Battalion

The 1/6th (Renfrewshire) Battalion

The 1/7th Battalion

The 1/8th (The Argyllshire) Battalion

The 1/9th (The Dumbartonshire) Battalion

I have carried out a search for all WW1 soldiers that had a service number of 3492 and there is no Duncan McIsaac for the 1914 Star Medal; the 1914/15 Star Medal or the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 May 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
I meant to add that the image in my second post (reply #3) shows information that was given by the soldier when admitted for medical treatment. In this man's case, he declared that he was 19 years of age, had been in the Army for 1 year and 8 months of which he had been on active service for 1 year and 4 months.

If the family disbelieve the Medal Records than they in turn must disbelieve the information that he gave when he was admitted for medical treatment.

As STG (reply #9) states ''However, it seems likely that whatever you do, the family will still cling to their version of events, so you may not "win" this one!''

STG's suggestion to try and find a surviving service record for a soldier with a close service number to 3492 -- there isn't any in the public domain. The A&S may have the records but if they do, I don't know how you would gain access.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 May 23 18:32 BST (UK) »
Cheers AllanUK
What's not helping me convince them
Is the Service Medal Index Search is under 301303 not 3492
But the British War Medal and Victory Medal were printed/stamped as 3492
They are convinced that batch went over 1914/15 but we need evidence when 1/8th went over  ?

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 May 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
Cheers AllanUK
They are convinced that batch went over 1914/15 but we need evidence when 1/8th went over  ?

According to the Long, Long Trail, the 1/8th Bn first went to France in May 1915.
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 May 23 19:44 BST (UK) »
Cheers AllanUK

Do you know where he was born? Parents full names? -- this info would assist in further research.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 May 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
Born in Campbeltown Argyll and Bute 1898

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 May 23 20:46 BST (UK) »
Only a thought - we know that they no longer have the Star, BUT can they provide you with a photograph of the British War and Victory war medals.  It may or may not help in this quest  :-\

Another thought - has anyone attempted to contact the Regiment for their information.  I know that I have contacted Staffordshire Regiment and West Yorkshire for information and they have given me good results!   :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY