Author Topic: Uniform or just dressing up?  (Read 524 times)

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Uniform or just dressing up?
« on: Sunday 07 May 23 20:01 BST (UK) »
This wonderfully dressed relative's photo was found amongst others bequeathed to me. The gentleman, Bill, was born in 1911 and passed in 2003. He was in the Navy during WW2. I think this must be just a posed photo for something else? We have no Scottish connection that I am aware of. Thank you for any comments.
Bertram - London; Bartram - London and Wallingford, Berks; Dixon - Kent; Gant - Colchester, Essex; Goldsack - Kent; Mann - London and Sussex; McConkey - Sussex and Hants; Percival - London and Nottingham; Turner - Fordham, Cambs; Reach - London; Rumens - London; Matthews - London.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform or just dressing up?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 23 12:32 BST (UK) »
I think the uniform could be that of the Gordon Highlanders.  The badge and sporran are similar or the same.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 23 14:09 BST (UK) »
He's definitely not wearing military uniform.

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 23 17:31 BST (UK) »
I think the uniform could be that of the Gordon Highlanders.  The badge and sporran are similar or the same.

He's definitely not wearing military uniform.

Thank you both. Think I'll go with dressing up!

Edit: Just did an image search and gave me the image below. Apparently was the thing to do when in Scotland during the WW2. Uniform is Seaforth highlanders.
Bertram - London; Bartram - London and Wallingford, Berks; Dixon - Kent; Gant - Colchester, Essex; Goldsack - Kent; Mann - London and Sussex; McConkey - Sussex and Hants; Percival - London and Nottingham; Turner - Fordham, Cambs; Reach - London; Rumens - London; Matthews - London.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 23 19:48 BST (UK) »
It's a great studio photo and he looks to be enjoying dressing up.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 02:22 BST (UK) »
The picture appears to have been "updated" using an auto colouring program which, unfortunately, will probably not have the correct tartan colours

Offline Silent Whale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 May 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
It's a great studio photo and he looks to be enjoying dressing up.
Carol

....or a really false OTT smile?  ;D

The picture appears to have been "updated" using an auto colouring program which, unfortunately, will probably not have the correct tartan colours.

Yes, but pleased my 90-year-old aunt who gave me the picture. The gentleman in the photo was in the navy so was pretty sure this was just dressing up.  8)