Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 14th May  (Read 2281 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 14th May
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 01:30 BST (UK) »
Many expressions heard over here should never leave the shores of North America!
I have noticed in recent years British expressions becoming more commonplace on this side of the Atlantic - no doubt due to UK television shows and movies so widely watched via streaming, etc.
Have not posted much lately due to a very bad cold that I came down with 17 days ago, still a bit of a cough and very tired.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 07:17 BST (UK) »
Diana, hope you feel  better soon. XX
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 10:51 BST (UK) »
Yes a good recovery Diana.

As a child born 1937, I can vividly remember the bombing and devastation ( real proper devastation not the broken nail variety) Christmas 1940 especially when Manchester was bombed and all around us whole rows houses bombed into just piles of rubble overnight.I can hear the planes now.
The target was two giant gas storage tanks,gasometers, erected by Germans in the early 1930’s ,they would have the plans so how they were not hit is a miracle ,our house was directly opposite the gas works gates!
I think the devastation would have been unimaginable had the bombers got the targets .
As a result my sister six and a half and myself three and a half were taken asap to Dad’s relatives in Shropshire. We spent the rest of the war there.
They were complete strangers to me but at least not to Dad, think of the anguish other parents felt ,putting their children in a train to where? With whom? When would they see them again if they ever did?
That King George VI and Queen Elizabeth and the two Princesses stayed in London when Canada had offered safe refuge is something I will never forget,.in my childish simplicity I felt they would look after us .
I am a Royalist , I don’t envy the wealth because I have enough ,I would hate all the duties, The Red Box ,every day of  their lives, The Queen and other Monarchs have to deal with whatever is in it ,matters of state etc.
No thanks.
Compare with others , I have mentioned elsewhere other people,dictators who have led to millions of deaths through their egotistical desires.
War,famine ,suffering unimaginable to us ,and I am very glad we have much more reasonable people up there.
The Monarchy have no control over our finances ,but elected people do , Rishi  Sunak is a billionaire yet his government decide on our financial affairs ,I’ll bet whoever decided to make pensioners pay for TV licences did not have to make other sacrifices like heating etc to pay .
Leave well alone .
An old saying from Africa, when the Mau Mau were causing  trouble in  their efforts to govern themselves and the old tribal way of life was almost gone ——
“ Before you destroy something make sure you can replace it with something  of value”.
That was the title of a much acclaimed book , a riveting read “ Something of Value”.
We have the gear, buildings , traditions,etc ,and are very lucky ,we would not be one penny richer if the a monarchy went, as has been stated much revenue is gained through visitors and trade spin offs.
Long Live The King ,well he is seventy plus  but will do a good job ,especially with his influence in environmental matters, William and Kate will also do a good job.They have not put a foot wrong.
Putin must be green with envy, no one in those vast crowds had to be forced or threatened so they would attend!
It bears thinking about.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hope everyone  in Auckland  New Zealand is safe, I read they have had floods recently, take care

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Yes a good recovery Diana.

As a child born 1937, I can vividly remember the bombing and devastation ( real proper devastation not the broken nail variety) Christmas 1940 especially when Manchester was bombed and all around us whole rows houses bombed into just piles of rubble overnight.I can hear the planes now.
The target was two giant gas storage tanks,gasometers, erected by Germans in the early 1930’s ,they would have the plans so how they were not hit is a miracle ,our house was directly opposite the gas works gates!
I think the devastation would have been unimaginable had the bombers got the targets .
As a result my sister six and a half and myself three and a half were taken asap to Dad’s relatives in Shropshire. We spent the rest of the war there.
They were complete strangers to me but at least not to Dad, think of the anguish other parents felt ,putting their children in a train to where? With whom? When would they see them again if they ever did?
That King George VI and Queen Elizabeth and the two Princesses stayed in London when Canada had offered safe refuge is something I will never forget,.in my childish simplicity I felt they would look after us .
I am a Royalist , I don’t envy the wealth because I have enough ,I would hate all the duties, The Red Box ,every day of  their lives, The Queen and other Monarchs have to deal with whatever is in it ,matters of state etc.
No thanks.
Compare with others , I have mentioned elsewhere other people,dictators who have led to millions of deaths through their egotistical desires.
War,famine ,suffering unimaginable to us ,and I am very glad we have much more reasonable people up there.
The Monarchy have no control over our finances ,but elected people do , Rishi  Sunak is a billionaire yet his government decide on our financial affairs ,I’ll bet whoever decided to make pensioners pay for TV licences did not have to make other sacrifices like heating etc to pay .
Leave well alone .
An old saying from Africa, when the Mau Mau were causing  trouble in  their efforts to govern themselves and the old tribal way of life was almost gone ——
“ Before you destroy something make sure you can replace it with something  of value”.
That was the title of a much acclaimed book , a riveting read “ Something of Value”.
We have the gear, buildings , traditions,etc ,and are very lucky ,we would not be one penny richer if the a monarchy went, as has been stated much revenue is gained through visitors and trade spin offs.
Long Live The King ,well he is seventy plus  but will do a good job ,especially with his influence in environmental matters, William and Kate will also do a good job.They have not put a foot wrong.
Putin must be green with envy, no one in those vast crowds had to be forced or threatened so they would attend!
It bears thinking about.
Viktoria.

I was living in Kenya 1951-1953 at the outbreak of the Mau Mau problems. We lived about 5 miles outside Nairobi city centre on camp at RAF Eastleigh.
I remember one morning going on the bus with mother into Noairobi to do some shopping and all along the side of the road were African natives, families with all their worldly possessions. There had been a raid, by the military on a village down in the Mathari valley, which had been a local centre of the Mau Mau activities and the homes set on fire and destroyed.
I recall that there was almost total segregation of the various groups in the city, Whites/Europeans, Asians and Africans (in shanty town settlements). The buses which served the various parts of the city had Europeans in the best seats in the front end, with the Asians behind and the poor African natives on wooden seats in the back, if they were lucky or even hanging on to the back of the bus outside.
Our "houseboy", Joseph, was of the  Kikuyu tribe, which was the main antagonist in the troubles. He did mornings at home for us but mother would not let him do her ironing!

Happy days! :-\
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 May 23 11:36 BST (UK) »
Yes LM, mare reporting in from Auckland, various weather events NZ lately, mobile emergency alert system activated just after midday Tuesday with heavy deluge and following on from flooding late January advice sent out more quickly. Surface flooding late morning and early afternoon causing chaos for commuters and distress in those areas already hard hit by flooding and slips.We weren't too far from home but out in it briefly and not too much mopping up to do here and just a bit of garden debris with the wind, thankfully also made trip back from north while roads were still open but only temporary closure and they were able to reopen again next day. Wednesday night /Thursday morning  a lot of lightning and thunder and hail in places, woken by the loudest clap and roll of thunder I can recall directly overhead early Thursday which really shook the house.

Reconsidered another quite long trip to Taranaki for a friend's funeral today for various reasons, including an important meeting for husband this morning but I watched it on live stream and a massive turnout,  Not surprised, sorely missed by close family and friends and taken too soon following surgery complication, generous with his time, helpfulness and skills and such a high achiever and a big loss to the aviation industry. A crisp clear day down there for the gathering and ideal for the special flypast too, wonderful tributes and 3 and a half hours all up for the live stream!
Temps have dipped here too as has been very mild with the fronts from the tropics, so now noticing the more southerly chill. Also snow falls now further down south, South Island and central North Island including Mt Taranaki looking a picture today in images shown.

Watched a lot of the BBC coverage Saturday night here, went through to 2am NZ time, highlights of ceremonies screened Sunday as well which was more suitable for the little ones and others unable view real time, quiche was good too. Just tweaked recipe slightly and made it while I had oven on for a batch of baking to take with us as a help with party food for the Sunday lunch. A lovely catch up and time with our families together for the 1st birthday. A run of family birthdays to come this month and a couple of special celebrations May and June. Mothers Day this Sunday, 14th so we covered that as well with cards and present while at daughter's place.

Sounds a miserable time for you with your bad cold, Diana, hopefully clearing now. I thought I was in for something myself this week, has happened a few times now that I have a scratchy throat, feeling slightly achy and a bit nasal and really tired,  then a day or two later OK again thankfully. Did a Rapid Antigen Test yesterday before we went out just to be sure it was negative for 'the' virus, miss 8 granddaughter continued to test negative as well through to Monday morning for school, so that was good. She woke with a headache a couple of times and hoping not a symptom, has appointment with dentist as a little bit of bother with 2nd teeth and been postponed by him twice already but they may be contributing to headaches. A busy schedule with her activities just lately and more aware of  'worldly' things around too though generally quite well adjusted, just noting a touch of anxiety occasionally.

Have a good weekend all...

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 May 23 11:54 BST (UK) »
I think the whole world seems to have problems with rain and storms, various places here have had land slides not so many miles away from  my area, we have had a lot of rain, my husband wanted to plant a rose well overdue for planting , he dug a hole and it immediately filled up with water, that was a bit of a surprise.

My grandaughter was in Vietnam over the weekend on top of a mountain and there was a storm, everyone was gathered up and they had to all stay inside till it subsided, the transport down was cancelled for 2 hours, she said it had a sort of a theme park at the top and lots of people were there.

Not a lot going on here except rain again, no there's  a change!

Take care everyone,  hope all those feeling poorly are recovering

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 May 23 12:37 BST (UK) »
Yes it seems that way at times LM and we get instant reports of global conditions and any devastation with the news. No doubt you're happy to hear from your granddaughter after eventful moments on her travels, a memorable trip for her.

International nurses day today, only caught up with that on evening news and as has been previously mentioned, every day is an international day for something. It's been NZ sign language week here but that doesn't coincide with International Deaf Awareness week in September ...

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 May 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
Everyone is quiet today.
Not a lot going  on,  Saturday always seems to be the same since Covid,  we often went out on a Satuday but  Covid put paid to that  and now my  OH can't be bothered, not nice enough to go to a nursery, need to get my bedding plants sorted  for the summer
Take care everyone

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London