Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 14th May  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 14th May
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 09:21 BST (UK) »
This explains the names for the different generations:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/which-age-range-who-generation-z-millennial-boomer-zoomer-b1073540.html

As for Dilf, I hadn't heard this term but having Googled it I see it's similar to the acronym Milf, which you may have heard, the D in this case stands for Dad. For anyone who doesn't understand this, I suggest you Google it as it wouldn't be appropriate for me to explain in detail here!  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
These days it seems there are abbreviations for all manner of things!

Gen Z - according to Wikipedia they’re between aged 8-23 and are post millennial born between 1997-2012…

Millennials - born between 1981-1996

Here’s a little explanation I found in case anyone’s in any doubt! Which I’m sure RC’s aren’t!

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:32 BST (UK) »
This explains the names for the different generations:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/which-age-range-who-generation-z-millennial-boomer-zoomer-b1073540.html

As for Dilf, I hadn't heard this term but having Googled it I see it's similar to the acronym Milf, which you may have heard, the D in this case stands for Dad. For anyone who doesn't understand this, I suggest you Google it as it wouldn't be appropriate for me to explain in detail here!  ;D

Oh thanks - another one who’s had a sheltered life! I’d not heard of milf either!
North East of England

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Those two different articles have different answers for my generation. I’ve never heard of baby boomers two or Jones . I must live in a different world to others who know about such things.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:36 BST (UK) »
The world  has gone  barmy !!
Problem is LOL for instance has 2 meaning as far as I am concerned, laugh out loud or lots of love, be careful where you use it

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:45 BST (UK) »
David Cameron fell foul of LOL when he was prime minister, the generally accepted meaning is Laugh Out Loud, could prove awkward in some circumstances. Or 'Awks' as they say now.  ;D
Someone I know also misunderstood it, I'd been wondering why she found everything so funny!

Candleflame, must admit I'd never heard of a split in the baby boomers category or Jones. I wonder if it was from an American source.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 11:10 BST (UK) »
David Cameron fell foul of LOL when he was prime minister, the generally accepted meaning is Laugh Out Loud, could prove awkward in some circumstances. Or 'Awks' as they say now.  ;D
Someone I know also misunderstood it, I'd been wondering why she found everything so funny!

Candleflame, must admit I'd never heard of a split in the baby boomers category or Jones. I wonder if it was from an American source.

I have never heard of Jones either, and have been swamped in American references living so close to them. Have never heard of the boomers being split either.
In the US “okay, Boomer” is a bit of a put down from younger generations when boomers say something they consider unwoke.  Maybe used in the UK too?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 19:32 BST (UK) »
I thoroughly enjoyed the BBC coverage of the coronation plus the celebrations.   

What an unbelievable let down once the usual day time TV discussion programmes were shown.   I could forgive one commercial tv presenter inventing the word "coronate", but thought it was totally in bad taste for the scarce hidden sneers by one presenter on another commercial tv channel.

Those presenters haven't had the war time experiences that my generation have had.  They haven't experienced the nightly klaxon warnings, the sounds of enemy aircraft and buzz bombs overhead.    Like most towns the late King George VI and his wife Queen Elizabeth visited more than once to keep moral up -   as their daughter, the then Princess Elizabeth and her future husband Prince Phillip.

What hasn't been voiced is that the UK probably made a profit from the celebrations with about £800 million being spent and about £1.2 billion received in British coffers - not to mention all the worker being employed to manufacture bunting , pottery, food, etc.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 22:51 BST (UK) »
Well said Rena. I tuned in to This Morning shortly after it began, to the rantings of Matthew Wright, one of the guests invited to discuss what's currently in the news (I think he's a journalist). He was going on about how much the coronation cost, the other guest pointed out that it was once in 70 years and  (as you say Rena) has brought a massive amount of money into the economy. Of course he didn't leave his rantings at that, we were all treated to his opinion.

I don't have any wartime experience but I've certainly read about what King George and Elizabeth did. And after the Palace was bombed, wasn't it Elizabeth who said 'Now I can look the East end in the eye '?

People such as Matthew Wright should learn a bit of respect.

Diana, I haven't heard of that sort of expression but no doubt it'll start, what goes on across the Atlantic usually reaches here too!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham