Author Topic: Romani Ireland History  (Read 147 times)

Offline Niamhmac

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Romani Ireland History
« on: Monday 08 May 23 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I've been researching my romani roots and here's what I know thus far . Surnames : Harrison , Barron, connelly and Boyle.  I know some of them are Irish, the only ones I know that are used by romani are Harrison and sometimes Barron , though is it possible for the others to be romani even if they have those other surnames ? Occupations of the Harrisons' included, tinsmith, farm labour, domestic servant , labourer, telegraph messenger . 1901, the wife and husband couldn't read . Barrons' occupation included, black Smith, dress maker , pottery worker , pottery karker (i don't know what "karker" means) , some couldn't write . I really want to learn more about the romani , my older family members don't talk about it . We still have some superstitious, some are Irish but others are not to my knowledge, like shoes on the table is bad luck . We take superstitious pretty seriously, "no point on letting bad luck into your life if you can prevent it ". My mother is very spiritual as well, she saw the future before and has a very good sense of things , and yes I know this isn't all what roma is dont get me wrong.  Could someone tell me about other roma things we may partake in without realising ?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Romani Ireland History
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 23 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have a look also at this board here on RC dedicated to your research www.rootschat.com/forum/travellers/

Enjoy your searches.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romani Ireland History
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 23 20:09 BST (UK) »
The meaning and origins of surname BARRON:

Scottish: status name from Scots baron, which in the Highlands denoted a small proprietary landholder. In Angus it alluded specifically to a tenant of one of the small baronies attached to the Abbey of Coupar Angus. The surname was taken by Scottish migrants to Ulster. Compare Baron

CONNELLY is generally considered to be an Anglicized form of the Old Gaelic -Irish O'Conghaile. It means "fierce as a hound." The name consists of the Gaelic prefix "O" indicating "male descendant of," plus the personal byname Conghaile. Con, comes from a word meaning "hound," and gal, means "valor."
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke