Author Topic: Peck & Gents  (Read 977 times)

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peck & Gents
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 May 23 15:22 BST (UK) »
Will of Robert Gent, farmer died 1846 available at -
https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/gent-robert-farmer-of-north-cove-suffolk

Robert Gent's will, made in February 1845, can be accessed free of charge through FamilySearch, starting with image 462 (folio 432) at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C398-DS8G-C?i=461&cat=278818

It provides for Hannah Peck "now living with me" (folio 433) and her six children: Mary Ann Hannah Peck, Hannah Sophia Peck, Kate Peck, George Peck, William Peck and James Peck (folio 433 verso). The executors were his brother Richard Gent of Beccles and Thomas Hawes Patrick of North Cove, a painter.

David

Thank you David I’m doubting that this is the Robert Gent I’m looking for as I wouldn’t think he’d have so much to leave as an established farmer/business when there’s a report of him being owed money for being a higgler/carter in Shepshed.

I only started checking the Suffolk Robert Gents as “my Robert” had a son born there.

Back to the brick wall !

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 May 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
Robert’s eldest son is Robert b East Bergholt 1821, isn’t he?

What are the names and dates/places of birth of Robert and Sarah’s other older children?

Also, looking through the thumbprints from the British Newspaper Archive (I don’t have a subscription), have you discounted the Robert Gent deceased whose goods (not sure what exactly) are to be auctioned at the George Inn Hinckley on 7 January 1840 (Leicester Journal, 3 Jan 1840)? I can’t spot a corresponding death registration. I know Hinckley is some distance from Shepshed, but as maddys52 mentioned, as a higgler Robert is likely to have had carts, horses, farm equipment - might be worth finding out what was for sale.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 May 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
The vagaries of OCR!
The original reads " ... Robert Applebee, Gent ...". The name "Applebee" has failed to be OCR "read". 

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 May 23 17:01 BST (UK) »
What a pity! Thanks for putting this right

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 May 23 17:31 BST (UK) »
I have Robert Gent born in Suffolk in 1800.
He married Sarah Allwood in Shepshed Leicestershire 1819. 

Robert Gent died 13.7.1846 Suffolk aged 46 & is buried in St Botolphs Suffolk

So Robert Gent born North Cove Suffolk 1800 died 1846
Which means that you don't know when or where the Robert who married Sarah was born?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 May 23 18:53 BST (UK) »
The starting point is the marriage 27 Dec 1819, Shepshed, of Robert Gent and Sarah Allwood, by banns, with parental consent, both of this parish and both made their mark. The witnesses appear on other marriage entries in the Shepshed register - hence wd. appear to have no link to the happy couple.

There are 1771 and 1777 baptisms for a Robert Gent, both naming parents as Thomas and Sarah, and both happening at Packington. But there are burials 1772 and 1777 for Robert Gent, which both name the parents as Thomas and Sarah, and both at Packington. Else, Robert Gents born Leicestershire as rare as hens' teeth in the likely timeframe.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 May 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
And then we have the baptism of son Robert, 25 April 1821, in East Bergholt, down on the Essex/Suffolk border. Abode EB. Father Robert Gent a Labourer.

His eldest son Robert Gent was born in Suffolk

What happened to him?
But I am not totally convinced about it, as there is a baptism at East Bergholt, 14 April 1816, Sarah Gaunt, parents Robert and Sarah (abode EB, father Labourer)

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 May 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
You are right not to be totally convinced. In addition to Robert b1821:

Mary Gaunt, bapt EB, 14 April 1816, dau Robert and Sarah
Sarah Gant, bapt Tattingstone, Suffolk, 5 December 1813, dau Robert and Sarah

Robert Gant, widower, m Sarah Bird, Little Oakley, Essex, 7 Oct 1812

It would help to have more details about the children of Robert Gent higgler of Shepshed if the Leicestershire family are in fact the OP’s line. Robert married Sarah Allcock in 1819 but the two children baptised in Shepshed were not born till the 1830s. If Robert died c1840 he could have been working alongside a member of the family elsewhere in the country.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 May 23 15:53 BST (UK) »

It would help to have more details about the children of Robert Gent higgler of Shepshed

A good call - I'm still wondering who the 1837 birth is (mentioned in earlier post).