Author Topic: Peck & Gents  (Read 974 times)

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peck & Gents
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 08:30 BST (UK) »
A mention of Robert GENT in Shepshed in 1837:

"John Gunn, of Sheepshead, needle-maker, was charged by Robert Gent, of that place, higgler, with refusing to pay him the wages due for service performed; ordered to pay 12 s. and each party to share the costs."
Saturday,  Feb. 25, 1837
Publication: Leicester Chronicle

There have been various threads on here about "higglers" - sometimes it refers to a peddler or trader, at other times someone who went from job to job with his own team of horses, ploughing etc.

Yes I’d seen that which was one of the reasons that we thought Robert may have travelled around the country.    His eldest son was born in Suffolk and another son in Leicester.  So the family may have travelled with him as Sarah his wife was born in Leicestershire.

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
Is Robert shown as the father on any of the Peck children's marriage certs?

I’ve not looked I did find an entry for Mary Ann Hannah Peck Gent marrying a Royal William Lilly/Lillie.

Mary Ann Peck was baptised North Cove 1835 with just mother Hannah Peck listed.

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 08:42 BST (UK) »
I’m really just looking for where Robert Gent disappeared to after his marriage to Sarah Allwood in Shepshed.   His eldest son Robert Gent was born in Suffolk so that was the focal point for going down the North Cove route.

Robert was a higgler as per the newspaper report to that could explain why his eldest child wasn’t born in Leicestershire like the others.  Maybe the family initially travelled ??

I’m just trying to find a connection to the Peck family and if that Robert Gent is the same one that married Sarah in Shepshed ?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:54 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think they are two different Robert GENTs, however I'm happy to be proved wrong. The one in North Cove is a farmer  and appears to have been there since birth, certainly in the poll book in 1832.

Have you seen the image of the marriage of Robert GENT and Sarah ALLWOOD? I realise it won't have father's names in 1819, however the witnesses names may provide some clues.

Have you seen the image of the parish register or Bishop's Transcript for the baptisms of Robert and Sarah's children? What address and occupation (if any) does it show for Robert?

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 12:26 BST (UK) »

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Suffolk Chronicle, 5 Sep 1846
AT NORTH COVE, NEAR BECCLES
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION

On Friday the 18th Sept, by order of the executors of Mr Robert Gent, deceased, all the valuable farming stock, household furniture & other effects upon the premises in the occupation of the deceased

A separate article describes some items "Three horse power thrashing machine, capital stacking cloths, with poles, lines and pullies, quite complete, and nearly new; neat gig on springs, excellent set; set of brass mounted gig harness; road saddle and bridle".

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 13:03 BST (UK) »
deleted
(Had somehow wandered into Norfolk?)

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think they are two different Robert GENTs, however I'm happy to be proved wrong. The one in North Cove is a farmer  and appears to have been there since birth, certainly in the poll book in 1832.

Have you seen the image of the marriage of Robert GENT and Sarah ALLWOOD? I realise it won't have father's names in 1819, however the witnesses names may provide some clues.

Have you seen the image of the parish register or Bishop's Transcript for the baptisms of Robert and Sarah's children? What address and occupation (if any) does it show for Robert?

Yes it’s looking less and less likely that they are the same person or rather the elusive Robert Gent that married Sarah Allwood.   Back to the brick wall I think !

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 May 23 12:28 BST (UK) »
Will of Robert Gent, farmer died 1846 available at -
https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/gent-robert-farmer-of-north-cove-suffolk

Robert Gent's will, made in February 1845, can be accessed free of charge through FamilySearch, starting with image 462 (folio 432) at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C398-DS8G-C?i=461&cat=278818

It provides for Hannah Peck "now living with me" (folio 433) and her six children: Mary Ann Hannah Peck, Hannah Sophia Peck, Kate Peck, George Peck, William Peck and James Peck (folio 433 verso). The executors were his brother Richard Gent of Beccles and Thomas Hawes Patrick of North Cove, a painter.

David