Author Topic: Thomas Pike/Pyke/Peck and Rebecca Lawrence? Marriage  (Read 271 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Pike/Pyke/Peck and Rebecca Lawrence? Marriage
« on: Tuesday 09 May 23 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

I’ve been trying to track down a marriage for Thomas pike/Pyke/peck to a possible Rebecca Lawrence sometime around 1783 as their first son-Aaron-was born in 1784 Bulford, Wiltshire. Thomas was baptized in Milston and there is a Rebecca Lawrence baptized in Bulford. I would assume the marriage would be between the two areas.

Any help pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. I feel like I’ve exhausted the majority of online sites I can think of.

Thanks,
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pike/Pyke/Peck and Rebecca Lawrence? Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 05:21 BST (UK) »
According to several trees on MyHeritage, there was another child born to this couple before Aaron in 1784.
William Pike was baptised 19th June 1779 in Amesbury, Wilstshire.
(I haven't checked this out).

I looked at several trees, but like you, no one seems to have found the marriage of Thomas and Rebecca Lawrence. Many have supposed it to be about 1778 in Amesbury.
If it's in the registers, you'd think somebody would have found it.
famiysearch.org have the films of Amesbury.
Unfortunately the BMDs are still only on film - not yet digitised, and the BTs are locked which means you can only see them at a familysearch library.

Rebecca was supposedly baptised March 18th 1762 at Milston. Father James, mother Elizabeth Hatherall.
If this is Thomas Pike's wife, she would only have been possibly just 16 years old if the marriage was in 1778.
Perhaps she was already pregnant.

Thomas Pike died 1834.
Have you looked for a will for him? You never know what might turn up in a will.
I'd also look at Rebecca Lawrence's family. Do you know when her father died? Have you looked for a will for him? Or indeed any other members of his family or the Pike family. Grandaddies, spinster aunts and bachelor uncles often left bequests to younger members of their wider family.

Just to add that people didn't always get married locally.
I have two people from Derbyshire in the very early 1700s, who I finally found got married in London.
It's definitely the same people - their parish in Derbyshire is written in the London register.
I still have no idea why they should have travelled 100s of miles to get married!

If Rebecca Lawrence was so young and already pregnant, they may have decided to travel some distance away from the eyes of local neighbours.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pike/Pyke/Peck and Rebecca Lawrence? Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.

Yes I’ve seen William but the only actual record I can find is for a William baptized  to Thomas and JANE the 25 June 1779 in Amesbury so I have taken this to be that somebody errored on their tree and it has just been copied on repeat as can happen.

I have the england christenings record that stats Rebecca was born 18 March 1762 in BULFORD specifically to James and Elizabeth. I am currently working on a marriage for them possibly 1755 one to Elizabeth Grist in Hampshire over the hatherall one. I do have a couple who married out of area but for the most part even if young they married at home-I have a 13 year old marrying a 20 year old in their hometown at one point.

I have not been able to track down wills for either yet unfortunately.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,