Author Topic: Royal Marines  (Read 211 times)

Offline Glosterboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Marines
« on: Tuesday 09 May 23 11:36 BST (UK) »
I've recently discovered my Great Grandfather's eldest brother at the time of the 1891 census was a Private within the Royal Marines. Stationed at the North Barracks, Royal Marines Depot, Walmer, Kent. I know he married during March 1894. A long shot I know. But, is there any ways and means I can discover information regarding his time within the Royal Marines? Thanks.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marines
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 11:58 BST (UK) »
As a starting point I suggest you look in either Ancestry or FindMyPast (preferably both) and do searches by name within  their specific collections for British Royal Marines. FindMyPast has at least 6 collections which may provide some useful leads:
British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service and Pension Records, 1704-1939
Royal Marines 1899-1919
British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service and Pension Records Browse, 1704-1919
British Royal Navy & Royal Marines, Battle Of Jutland 1916 Servicemen
British Royal Marines, Marriage Registers 1813-1920
Wills Of Royal Navy & Royal Marines Personnel, 1786-1882

You should also put his name in the Discovery search box on the National Archives website along with a suitable date range and see what records come up. The entries should show if either Ancestry or FindMyPast have digitised the relevant records.   

Offline Glosterboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marines
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Records held on the National Archives website informed me of what I required.