Author Topic: Charles GREGORY ca 1700  (Read 624 times)

Offline garlands

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles GREGORY ca 1700
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 May 23 23:06 BST (UK) »
When you came up with those two burials, it looked as if you'd found the forename of Mary's mother, and I believe that you have, but proving it might be impossible. I've done a country-wide search for Charles GREGORY & Margaret XXXX, and found a few in the 1690's, but they're all well away from Derbyshire.
I'll have another attempt tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your efforts.
BENNETT, DAW, DYER, GARLAND, LEAT, SNELL, Devon
CONDY, DREW, GOLDSWORTHY, GONINAN, PENHALURICK, ROWE, TIPPET, WASLEY, Cornwall
NEWMAN, PERRIN, Gloucs
EVANS,  Hereford
BAKER, Somerset
RICHARDS, Brecknock
FRANCIS, Glam
ALBAN, Carmarthen
WILLIAMS, Gower

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 May 23 11:34 BST (UK) »
I think the chances of finding the marriage are slim.  Other descendants appear to have tried https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~blanchec/genealogy/whitefam.htm?fbclid=IwAR0npdtkZ1j_zAwu6CtR6qOpEsvoGQxCiIArau2f10T-t5HN_7jV3S6i8Yc  To be thorough you would need to do a painstaking search beginning with the parishes around Stanton by Bridge ie Repton, Melbourne, Barrow, Swarkestone, Ticknall, Foremark and Derby Hills before spreading outwards.  Then you are looking at wills, National Archives, Derby Record Office, Hearth Tax, Free and Voluntary Present etc.  The will of Thomas Gregory 1696 Swarkestone would be worth a look.  Good luck!
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline garlands

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 10:16 BST (UK) »
Reverting to the burials of Charles and Margaret, I assume that they were married. A search covering 1660-1740 for the whole of England has produced only one result:-

05 Mar 1727/28  Charles GREGORY m Margaret ALLEN, both otp, in Clerkenwell

which, even if they subsequently moved to Derbs, is too late for them to be the parents I'm seeking in 1697-1710. Regretfully, Margaret ALLEN is not the lady I'm seeking.
BENNETT, DAW, DYER, GARLAND, LEAT, SNELL, Devon
CONDY, DREW, GOLDSWORTHY, GONINAN, PENHALURICK, ROWE, TIPPET, WASLEY, Cornwall
NEWMAN, PERRIN, Gloucs
EVANS,  Hereford
BAKER, Somerset
RICHARDS, Brecknock
FRANCIS, Glam
ALBAN, Carmarthen
WILLIAMS, Gower