Author Topic: Bannerman, Aberdeen before 1794  (Read 362 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bannerman, Aberdeen before 1794
« on: Wednesday 10 May 23 09:07 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any nugget of information about anyone mentioned in the attached marriage in 1794 Aberdeen. The William Smith mentioned I believe was a glazier and burgess of Aberdeen, but I am trying to establish whether the Alexander Bannerman mentioned, could be the builder/mason of 'Bannerman's Bridge' fame. Certainly the history of the Smith family centres around the Marischal Street area. I did a quick search on Scotland's People and, without any other criteria being entered, the only Alexander Bannerman that it might be was one who died in Oldmachar in 1775, which would fit with him being deceased at the time of the 1794 marriage. Any clues as to Alexander, James Buchan, shipbuilder (could be Hall & Buchan??) or John Gordon the painter, would be a great result! Thank you.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bannerman, Aberdeen before 1794
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
A factor manages property for the owner. Not the same as a mason. The Aberdeen Journal has several advertisements over 1782/83 where the trustees for the creditors of "Alexander Bannerman, mason in Aberdeen" are announcing the sale of some of his properties.

Is this your William Smith in 1824?

https://archive.org/details/directoryforcity182425uns/page/84/mode/2up?q=painter

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 23 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply GR2. Yes, I'm pretty sure that is the correct William Smith. He was a glazier/painter and also became a burgess, master of hospital and convener in Aberdeen. I can find very little about Alex'r Bannerman, the factor and also Alex'r Bannerman, the mason. I have emailed the Aberdeen Archives to see if they can throw any more light on either of them.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 09:55 BST (UK) »
In reply to my own post... I looked at the 'original' entry in the St Nicholas Kirk Sessions and have now figured out that Alex'r Bannerman wasn't a 'late factor' but was in fact a 'late sailor'! That should give me a bit more of a clue. So there's no connection to the bridge!