Author Topic: Looking for Unknown Maternal Grandfather  (Read 449 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Unknown Maternal Grandfather
« on: Wednesday 10 May 23 12:29 BST (UK) »
My daughter-in-law's mother was adopted and she died when my DIL was very young, so we know very little of her background. Her adoptive parents came up with an interesting, but completely untrue, back story regarding her birth and adoption, which I have unravelled by tracing her mother (my DIL's grandmother) through adoption records, but the father's name is unknown. She was born in 1945, so an overseas serviceman can't be ruled out.

Through DNA we now have have over 6500 maternal matches to my DIL, most of which can be proven to be of her grandmother's family. Unassigned matches are easy to assign to the maternal or paternal lines because my DIL's father was Indian and her mother was white British, so I've been through all of the hign cM matches and manually assigned them. She also has a half brother whose father is also white British and appears as a 1776 cM match.

Of the five >100 cM matches on my DIL's maternal side only one (at 101 cM) does not share any matches with any of the others at any cM level. This person also shares DNA with my DIL's brother and two others, but the three have no DNA links to any other maternal matches and I don't recognise any of the names on any of the three's (very limited) trees.

The other >100 cM maternal matches are 262, 132, 112 and 103 cM. All of those four can be linked to each other through DNA.

Does this indicate with any degree of confidence that  the 101 cM match is related to my DIL's missing maternal grandfather? I should add that all three have links to the Manchester area where my DIL's mother was born.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Unknown Maternal Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
Not really.

Possible?  Yes.

101 cM would indicate the probability of a more distant MCRA although there is 39% probability of a half 122R which I would question if there is enough generational distance between the 101 and your DIL, so could you offer more info?

Are the DNA tests Ancestry’s?

If so downloading the data and uploading it to Gedmatch, My Heritage etc will give access to comparison tools which are not available on Ancestry where all you get is the cM valuecand segment details, incidentally could you supply these for the 101.

How does the Brother’s cM value compare to your DIL?

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Unknown Maternal Grandfather
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 23 11:00 BST (UK) »
Not really.

Possible?  Yes.

101 cM would indicate the probability of a more distant MCRA although there is 39% probability of a half 122R which I would question if there is enough generational distance between the 101 and your DIL, so could you offer more info?

Are the DNA tests Ancestry’s?

If so downloading the data and uploading it to Gedmatch, My Heritage etc will give access to comparison tools which are not available on Ancestry where all you get is the cM valuecand segment details, incidentally could you supply these for the 101.

Thanks for your interest:

- Yes they are Ancestry tests.

- 101 cM across 4 segments

- I uploaded her data to GEDmatch last week, but the highest match was only 41.8 cM. I've just uploaded to MyHeritage, but the results will take 5-7 days.

- Do you mean for the 101? I assume I would have to get his permission to view his test data?

Do you find it surprising that out of >6500 matches on her maternal side none are obviously the mystery grandfather's? For comparison mine are pretty evenly spread between all four grandparents.