Author Topic: Battle of Ballycohy  (Read 457 times)

Offline tjdwyer518

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battle of Ballycohy
« on: Wednesday 10 May 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for answers/ info  about the Battle of Ballycohy, which took place in County Tipperary in 1868.  I have a great granduncle, Michael Hanley, who was involved.  I have read the book by Peter O"Grady

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Ballycohy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 23 17:13 BST (UK) »

…the "Battle of Ballycohey" and as such it really was, on a small scale. It arose out of the difficulty existing between a landlord - William Scully, and his tenants, occupying holdings on the townland of Ballycohey, distant about three miles from the town of Tipperary.

https://www.libraryireland.com/Atlas/XC-Battle-Ballycohey.php

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 23 17:49 BST (UK) »
The newspapers have some quite graphic descriptions of the "incident".

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
The newspapers have some quite graphic descriptions of the "incident".

The Irish newspapers can be found at :

The British Newspaper Archive or Irish News Archive. These are both subscription sites. FindMyPast also has access to BNA.
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 23 00:48 BST (UK) »
TJ
What do you need to know

P J

Offline Marcus Seoigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 23 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, John Ryan 1841-1913 Ballycohey Tipperary, maarried to a Catherine Doherty 1848-1929 Ballycohey, he is my great grandfather, his sons John and Bryan went into the pub trade in North inner city Dublin, so I dont know anything about remaining family in the locality. We always heard the women 'took the guns away in their skirts after the ambush' but never about whether the John Ryan on the monument is the same man, he would have been 27 years old. Theres one or two John Ryans in the Births Marriages, Deaths in this area, i havent got a copy of the Peter O Grady book,  but its such a common name, im not sure it would answer my John Ryan question either. Can anyone shed any light on the Ryans of Ballycohey? M

Offline Marcus Seoigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 23 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again, just to clarify, this is my great grandfather John Ryan and his family in the 1901 census attached, its the only John Ryan in Ballycohey in 1901, with his family, so im wondering if thats the same John Ryan who is celebrated on the 1868 memorial, or was there another one who had to move away from Tipperary to escape punishment?  I dont mind waiting for the answer if someone sees this in a few years time, M