Author Topic: Death of William Lennox, Toronto, abt 1873/4, wife Mary Thompson  (Read 1897 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of William Lennox, Toronto, abt 1873/4, wife Mary Thompson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 May 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have James Thompson Lennox's obit - it is in the Toronto Star.

Lennox, James Thompson,  Reg. No. 201064.   Died at Sunnybrook Hospital on Jun 22 1958.  In his 92nd year. Husband of the late Elvira Ann Sparling.  Father of J Wesley, Alvin W Lennox and Isabel (Mrs G Miller), Maple Ontario.  Interment York Cemetery.

RK

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 May 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for additional info. With regard to Elizabeth Lennox Ferguson, her husband Andrew Ferguson died Mar 27, 1962 and her son Andrew Lennox Ferguson died Feb 2, 1962 in Pasadena but his usual residence was in Vancouver, same address as when his mother died. Elizabeth's niece Elizabeth Lennox would be her brother John H.'s daughter and of course her brother was James Thompson Lennox who died in 1958. Just wish I could find the dates of death of the parents as I have a lot of Lennox baptisms in Ireland and would like to connect William Sr. to a family in Ireland, if I can.
Great to know the name of the hotel as that might just help to find William's death. Wonder if Market Square, corner of Front, is also the same place as 58/60 Front/Palace.
You have been a great help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 May 23 20:22 BST (UK) »
I found this on Lennox's hotel but not sure if it is the same bldg. as address seems different.

Lennox's Hotel, formerly known as Bird's Tavern and as Charlton's Tavern, on Queen Street West, east of Bay Street. According to Robertson's landmarks of Toronto, it was built in 1827. Toronto, Canada.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 May 23 20:35 BST (UK) »
I think Richard Lennox's hotel was in Yorkville, Ontario as per city directory of 1875.
Lennox Richard, Yorkville inn, 74 Yonge

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 May 23 20:47 BST (UK) »
This is the Richard Lennox who had a hotel in Yorkville in 1871 and I have linked him to his parents in Ireland who were Hugh Lennox and Letitia aka Eliza Ditty. Note all the Kerr children in the household as Richard's wife was Elizabeth aka Mary Kerr and they married Jan 19, 1869 in Toronto. Richard died Apr 14, 1929 in Los Angeles. I don't know if he was connected to William and Mary that we are looking for.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1871&op=img&id=4396618_00353

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 May 23 17:55 BST (UK) »
1871 - Tavern, Saloon licences for City

William Lennox at 60 Front St East

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 May 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
That is great, RunKitty. Further establishes he was alive in 1871. Thank you. Strange that we can’t find deaths for him and his wife.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 May 23 18:55 BST (UK) »
I have written to a descendant of John Hartford Lennox but their online tree does not have dates of death for William and Mary so don't think they have the dates either. Will let you know.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 July 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for William and Mary in 1881. Can't be found so could be deceased but can't find any of their children other than married son John H. The other theories are that they slipped into the USA for a while or most likely, their last name is horribly misspelled or they missed the census (not likely).
We have son William A., born 1858 or 1860, didn't marry until 1883, not sure where but likely Toronto, a daughter Ruth A. aka Annie born Feb 28, 1862 who married 1883 in Peel,  also Elizabeth abt 1865 who didn't marry until after 1891, and youngest James Thompson Lennox, born Jan 5, 1867 in Madoc, Hastings Co.
The father William was a hotel keeper in 1871 in St. Lawrence Ward in Toronto East. Where could everyone be in 1881? I have looked for years to find the family. they just have to be in Toronto in my opinion. Thanks for any help. Peggy