Author Topic: William Beaumont of Milnthorpe b abt 1760 who are his parents ?  (Read 473 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Beaumont of Milnthorpe b abt 1760 who are his parents ?
« on: Friday 12 May 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
Good evening all ,
my terrible brick wall i thought id have a gander at again.
William Beaumont was born abt 1762 - according to his death in 1837 buried at Sandal Magna but from Kirkburton.

i have his marriage to Sarah Hanson 19 oct 1787 at Sandal Magna his parish states Hoyland
children i have as follows :
Hannah 1788, John 1789, Joshua 1791, Violetta 1793, Martha 1794, Jane 1796, Jonathon 1798 , George 1800, Thomas 1802, Joseph 1804, Ann 1808.

DNA connections through Joshua, Jonathon and my line is Ann Beaumont 1808.

now i have not come across a baptism for William but there is 2 possiblities

23rd June 1759 Wakefield son of Joshua and 1761 Dewsbury son of John

a fellow DNA cousin and i are trying to work out who is william parents.

i thought Joshua Beaumont who married Sarah Brook they were from Almondbury and Joshua was of Upperthong - presuming old name for Overthong clothier. but there is also a daughter baptised in Almondury Hannah of same year as William 1759 so this is the only link i dont think Joshua and Sarah are his parents and of course no confirming paper trail... lthough lots of trees have these but no confirmation. my tree on Ancestry has Possibly on end.

but then... looking at the names of the children William had, and with then looking at Joshua parents is i believe to be George Beaumont and Martha Shakleton 28July 1738 Joshua baptism as Joshua marriage entry has William Shakleton as witness. possible relation to Mother Mary?
The names are as would be for naming patterns also Sarah Brook father is John - so William and Sarah Hanson 1st sons are John ( sarah dad) Joshua (William dad).
My DNA cousin also has DNA connections to the Brooks and Beaumonts in the Almondbury area which is another thing of been Joshua and Sarah Brooks, but they are struggling to connect them togther - they have a few intermingling marriages
any help would be greatly appriciated
many thanks
Weenie

Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Beaumont of Milnthorpe b abt 1760 who are his parents ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 23 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

If it mentioned from  Kirkburton I would say Upperthong which was in the parish of Kirkburton.

Could the Overthong be Overthorpe which is at Thornhill.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 23 10:31 BST (UK) »
William BEAUMONT of Hoyland to  Sarah HANSON   Marriage   19 Oct 1787   
Yorkshire, West Riding   Sandal Magna : St Helen : Other Transcript

Witness1   John SENIOR Witness2   Thos SCHOREY Notes   By Licence

This on freereg, plus  two others but given the name of the first son this may be more likely?

William BEAMONT   Baptism   29 Nov 1761   Yorkshire, West Riding   Dewsbury :
All Saints : Parish Register. Father John

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 23 10:46 BST (UK) »

You may have this information?

John BEAUMONT of chapelry of Wentworth
Hannah BEAUMONT   Marriage   29 Oct 1759   Yorkshire, West Riding   Rotherham : All Saints : Other Transcript

Sarah maybe?
Sarah HANSON   Baptism   05 Jun 1764   Yorkshire, West Riding   Sandal Magna: St Helen : Other Transcript

Father Geo  occupation Millthorpe?

George HANSON to Ann HUDSON?
   Marriage   02 Jan 1757   Yorkshire, West Riding   Sandal Magna : St Helen : Other Transcript

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 23 15:04 BST (UK) »
William BEAUMONT of Hoyland to  Sarah HANSON   Marriage   19 Oct 1787   
Yorkshire, West Riding   Sandal Magna : St Helen : Other Transcript

Witness1   John SENIOR Witness2   Thos SCHOREY Notes   By Licence

This on freereg, plus  two others but given the name of the first son this may be more likely?

William BEAMONT   Baptism   29 Nov 1761   Yorkshire, West Riding   Dewsbury :
All Saints : Parish Register. Father John

Colin

i think i can discount the baptism at Dewsbury - there is a death 4 weeks later.

i also have Sarah Hanson parents and have gone further back on that line - to see if any DNA connections match up.

The trouble i find is that i was thinking another Joshua married someone in the Wakefield area but there seems to be no other person marrying Joshua in the area of that time frame.

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 23 07:44 BST (UK) »
Does the entry of William Beaumont's burial 1837 in the Sandal Magna parish register give William's age or was it from a churchyard gravestone epitaph Memorial inscription age or was his death registered with a register office/GRO with his age on a birth certificate

This age at death souce ? though them days not always that accurate as the person who would know his age was now dead !, his age can be from the informant registering a death with GRO or parish administration (Vicar) and a family owned gravestone epitaph showing death age are considered most accurate.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 23 09:35 BST (UK) »
It gives the Age suggesting b1759 and living at kirkburton- which suggests he was living with or near his son Joshua Beaumont who had a 25 acre farm.

It was just before GRO registers

Weenie

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 23 12:53 BST (UK) »
It gives the Age suggesting b1759 and living at kirkburton- which suggests he was living with or near his son Joshua Beaumont who had a 25 acre farm.

Weenie

Thanks Weenie

I take it you will have looked at the 1841c & 1851c for William's widow Sarah or children for any visitors or people living the any siblings (Siblings single or married) with a surname that could match William's mothers maiden name that could indicate a possible marriage of William's parents marriage..(its sometimes worth a look)

In those days the person parish of birth  looked after these peoples well being benefit even if they moved to other locations that was paid by the parish overseer of the poor (Law) (bit like Universal credit now) that the parish had records now in archives.

Regester of deeds at Wakefield archives may have records if William's family owned land.

Last thing to remember is Holmfirth larger area was covered by both Almondbury & Kirkburton parish's and though William was living in Kirkburton it could mean the parish area that could mean Holmfirth Upperthong or Overthong, Thongsbridge, Wooldale Newmill and pockets of land area at Cartworth moor Brocholes, Honley and Meltham, Also places of abode could be entered in either parish register of Baptism, marriages and burial events - also Kirkheaton parish boundry is very close to Kirkburton VILLAGE its-self

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/calmview/advanced.aspx

Looking at the Wakefield family events  Joshua Beaumont father of William bapt 1759

Either Joshua moved to Wakefield long after his marriage (Unknown) with earlier children somewhere else or his wife died stopping him having more children post Thomas bapt or Joshua moved from Wakefied post Thomas bapt 1764
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
only form of  confirmation
Dates run and fit

Joshua Beaumont x Susanah Jackson marriage Kirkhaton 3 October 1750

Children

Joshua Beaumont bapt ! Sept 1751 Kirkheaton father Joshua

Mary Beaumont bapt 13 MaRCH 1754 Kirkheaton father Joshua

Richard Beaumont bapt 24 march 1756 Kirkheaton father Joshua

Elizabeth Beaumont bapt 10 August 1758 Kirkheaton father Joshua

(above) The last entry Kirkheaton

William Beaumont bapt 23,June 1759 Wakefield father Joshua

Martha Beaumont bapt 13 June 1761 Wakefield father Joshua

Martha Beaumont death 27 Nov 1765 Wakefield father Joshua

Thomas Beaumont bapt 12 June 1764 Wakefield father Joshua

Thomas Beaumont Marriage Wakefied to Beth Blacker 12 May 1789

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These link documents could be worth a look at Wakefield archives

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D000020%2f13%2f4%2f3%2f5&pos=4

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=WYAS3955%2f3%2f20&pos=5
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:36 BST (UK) »

Weenie

Thanks Weenie

I take it you will have looked at the 1841c & 1851c for William's widow Sarah or children for any visitors or people living the any siblings (Siblings single or married) with a surname that could match William's mothers maiden name that could indicate a possible marriage of William's parents marriage..(its sometimes worth a look)

In those days the person parish of birth  looked after these peoples well being benefit even if they moved to other locations that was paid by the parish overseer of the poor (Law) (bit like Universal credit now) that the parish had records now in archives.

Regester of deeds at Wakefield archives may have records if William's family owned land.

Last thing to remember is Holmfirth larger area was covered by both Almondbury & Kirkburton parish's and though William was living in Kirkburton it could mean the parish area that could mean Holmfirth Upperthong or Overthong, Thongsbridge, Wooldale Newmill and pockets of land area at Cartworth moor Brocholes, Honley and Meltham, Also places of abode could be entered in either parish register of Baptism, marriages and burial events - also Kirkheaton parish boundry is very close to Kirkburton VILLAGE its-self

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/calmview/advanced.aspx

Looking at the Wakefield family events  Joshua Beaumont father of William bapt 1759

Either Joshua moved to Wakefield long after his marriage (Unknown) with earlier children somewhere else or his wife died stopping him having more children post Thomas bapt or Joshua moved from Wakefied post Thomas bapt 1764
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
only form of  confirmation
Dates run and fit

Joshua Beaumont x Susanah Jackson marriage Kirkhaton 3 October 1750

Children

Joshua Beaumont bapt ! Sept 1751 Kirkheaton father Joshua

Mary Beaumont bapt 13 MaRCH 1754 Kirkheaton father Joshua

Richard Beaumont bapt 24 march 1756 Kirkheaton father Joshua

Elizabeth Beaumont bapt 10 August 1758 Kirkheaton father Joshua

(above) The last entry Kirkheaton

William Beaumont bapt 23,June 1759 Wakefield father Joshua

Martha Beaumont bapt 13 June 1761 Wakefield father Joshua

Martha Beaumont death 27 Nov 1765 Wakefield father Joshua

Thomas Beaumont bapt 12 June 1764 Wakefield father Joshua

Thomas Beaumont Marriage Wakefied to Beth Blacker 12 May 1789

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These link documents could be worth a look at Wakefield archives

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D000020%2f13%2f4%2f3%2f5&pos=4

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=WYAS3955%2f3%2f20&pos=5

thankyou for this. Sarah williams wife died 1808 at Milnthorpe. buried 14 Dec at Sandal

actually looking at what you suggest that Joshua married Sarah Jackson and moved from Kirkheaton to Wakefield after having Elizabeth looks better how you had written it on here. so i shall see those lines.

Are the archives available to view online ?.

Thankyou
Weenie