Author Topic: William Beaumont of Milnthorpe b abt 1760 who are his parents ?  (Read 472 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: William Beaumont of Milnthorpe b abt 1760 who are his parents ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 May 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
 As far a I know the archive main documents are not online but stuff like micro film /fiche parish register entries are online with FindMyPast or Ancestry.

(If it still uses the name West Yorkshire Archive service as they had satellite archives around West Yorkshire in Wakefield [Head office] and Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds, Bradford ) Its is now called The West Yorkshire History centre building in Kirkgate, Wakefield and you would have to make an appointment to visit them. Theres a fast bus number 110 to Wakefield from Leeds (about 30 minute journey time) for £2 single each way (£4 in all)

Going back to Joshua Beaumont of Kirkheaton parish

If Joshua lived near Whitley Hall area or Overton of Middlestown in Kirkheaton parish, then the road from Whitley through Thornhill Edge to Netherton,(above Horburybridge) then onto Criggleston (in Sandall Magna parish) is not that far (Chapelthorpe is in Criggleston where William Beaumont had messuage with appurtanances)

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Kirkheaton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 23:09 BST (UK) »
Rootschat member Bumble B has found from records on Ancestry.co.uk that Joshua Beaumont married in 1750 in Kirkheaton parish lived at Lepton In Huddersfield and later Lepton became part of Kirkburton parish .  As William Beaumont died in Kirkburton in 1837 were his son Joshua lived there maybe a link there ?
William's other son Thomas Beaumont who married in Sandall Magna abode (Abbreviated) Stan that is most likely Standbridge with Milnthorpe in Kettlethorpe village in Sandall Magna parish,

https://www.standbridgecommunitycentre.org/
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 00:16 BST (UK) »
Print copy page in each link and take to West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield West Yorkshire History Centre

127 Kirkgate, Wakefield, England, WF1 1JG

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D000020&pos=2

settlement certificates 1700-1820 (Above link)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/2eb1367b-cf2d-4363-a941-a74cccc091cd

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 00:43 BST (UK) »
https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/settlement-certificates-examinations-and-removal-orders-parish-poor-law/

A person gained the right of settlement under the following conditions:

A new born child took the father’s settlement regardless of the place of birth.
A parish apprentice from the age of seven who served and lived in the same parish for 40 consecutive days.
A married trader or person renting a smallholding or farm who had stayed for 12 months, paid parish rates and rented property over £10 per year.
An unmarried man who had worked for a year in the parish.
A woman took the settlement of the man she married and a widow who remarried took the husband’s settlement.
Servants who stayed one year from date of hiring, and left with full wages.
A person who inherited an estate of land and lived on the estate for more than 40 days could.

The WYAS cataloge link is broken
---------------------------------------
Instead agrange a visit

West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield West Yorkshire History Centre

Ask to see "settlement certificates 1700-1820"

Also all items in WDP20

WDP20

Ask WYAS staff anything about items in WDP20 and they will get items out one at a time for you -they are very helpful

A few visit may be required

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for these. i think it will be a few months before i go arrange a visit to archives. but i shall keep it all noted to do.

it really is much appriciated , i shall keep chipping away and keep you all informed.

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool