Author Topic: Ellen Mahoney born 1864  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Mahoney born 1864
« on: Friday 12 May 23 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have spent countless hours searching for more information about Ellen Mahoney, born Q4, 1864 Newport Monmouthshire, mother’s maiden name FYNN.

Ellen married Thomas GEORGE Q4, 1884 in Newport. Thomas died Q2, 1886 aged 65 years.

My husband believes he has found her living at 1 Worcester Terrace, Bristol on the 1891 census and she is a cook and domestic but ………. has he????

Ellen is in Cardiff by 1901 because she marries widower Thomas JONES in St David’s RC Church Cardiff on 9th February 1901.

On her marriage certificate Ellen gives her father’s name as Florence Mahoney and his occupation as a “sailmaker”.
Hannah O’Callaghan and Francis Mulhollen are witnesses to the marriage. Whether they are friends or relatives or just parishioners of the church we don’t know.
Her address is given as 20, Pembroke Terrace, Cardiff and she is a widow.

Prior to marrying Ellen, Thomas lived in Station Terrace, Cardiff with his wife Sarah, before her death in 1897 and after with some of his children. (Thomas and Sarah had about 14 children and she died in childbirth in 1897.)

After marrying, Ellen and Thomas lived in Howard Street, Cardiff then in 1902 they lived in Silver Street, Cardiff.

Thomas JONES died on 19th May 1906 so Ellen was a widow again.

Meeting a descendent of one of Thomas’s children a few years ago, we were told that Thomas’s children “fell out” with him because of the marriage and the fact that she took all his money.

We didn’t think the JONES family were very rich but doing further research on the JONES family discovered that along with his home in Station Terrace, Thomas JONES collected the rents of a few houses in Cardiff that he held the LEASES for. (He was left them in the WILL of his father David).

Using Kelly’s Directory, Ellen was head of the house in Station Terrace in 1907 and was still there in 1912.

Of course we now know why there was animosity with Thomas’s children. It’s obvious that Ellen inherited the leases of the properties and so collected the rents. Thomas did not leave a Will.

My husband would like to know what happened to Ellen.

Also the answer to the question - how long would someone be able to collect the rents on property that they hold the leases for?

How can we find out more about Property Leases.

Many thanks for all your help.

SNG

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Mahoney born 1864
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
Freebmd has a death for Florence Mahoney (male) aged 56 March qtr 1867 Newport 11a 129

There is a tree on Ancestry showing wife as Margaret Mullen & his father as James.  Florence was b Cork

It shows Ellen as b 1856

Perhaps the tree owner may be able to help with more info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW.

I’ll check it out.  SNG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 23 22:06 BST (UK) »
I found that family on the census CaroleW but ruled it out because of the dob.

I know some people have “made up” names of fathers when marrying but because it was such an unusual name I thought perhaps Ellen hadn’t in this case.

SNG

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 23 22:11 BST (UK) »
Buying a pdf copy of Florence's death cert may help but death certs aren't always the best source of info.  If his wife reported his death it gives you a name

Unfortunately a chunk of the Newport Monmouth 1861 is missing
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 23 22:39 BST (UK) »
The 1871 has a 15yr old Ellen Mahoney b Newport with widowed mother Margaret aged 50 plus a number of siblings - Piece 5346/27/3

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 23 23:21 BST (UK) »
My husband believes he has found her living at 1 Worcester Terrace, Bristol on the 1891 census and she is a cook and domestic but ………. has he????

1891 1969/55

Ellen George, Widow, 31 yrs b Newport, Monmouthshire

This looks very likely.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 23 23:59 BST (UK) »
The 1871 has a 15yr old Ellen Mahoney b Newport with widowed mother Margaret aged 50 plus a number of siblings - Piece 5346/27/3

Just in case - 1881 5263 /126/18
Births Newport

1856 Ellen Mahony mmn Mullins
1860 Thomas Mahoney mmn Mullins
1864 Margaret Mahoney mmn Mullins

Older children from 1871 - b Ireland
Timothy https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sap/. *but mother is shown as Peg Sullivan
James https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sam/
Daniel. https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sal/

Plus
Denis 1838 https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sao/
Mary 1844 https://www.rootschat.com/links/01san/

Marriage of Florence Mahony and Margaret Mullins
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sak/

I think there are other Ellen Mahoneys b Newport so not sure but hopefully this family are the right one.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 May 23 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Haywood for all that information. I have looked at the census return for that Ellen and because it gives her year of birth as 1856, ruled it out.

The GRO lists Ellen’s birth as Q4, 1864 and her mother’s maiden name as FYNN.

I have looked at a marriage for Mahoney / Fynn but not found anything. This could mean that they were not married but assumed it. I know today there has to be proof etc that the father is present when registering a child.

I have also searched for Mahoney / Flynn thinking that there could be an error.

I am assuming Ellen, when JONES, stayed in Cardiff but again two common names.

Thanks for the info on the missing Newport Census in 1861 CaroleW. That doesn’t really help though because Ellen wasn’t born until 1864.

I must admit that until seeing the name of Florence as her father’s name when we first bought the marriage certificate many years ago, I thought there had been a mistake and he was Horace!!!
It seemed to be a popular name at the time though.

Thanks for all your help. I will keep looking.

SNG