Author Topic: Ellen Mahoney born 1864  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Mahoney born 1864
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 May 23 21:32 BST (UK) »
Indeed, a male Florence pops up a few times

In newspaper reports in 1874 (driving a wagon in Llandaff with no reins) and in 1893 a vote of condolence was also passed with Mr Florence Mahoney, a well known and respected Irishman in Cardiff, on the death of his only son
This chap appears to be born c1833, married to Catherine and a general labourer in Penarth in 1881

separately there's a Florence b c1888 of Lower Bailey St killed in the Wattstown mining disaster in 1905

Florence b c1833 marries Mary Anne Whales in Trevethin in 1858

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 May 23 22:23 BST (UK) »
Florence was a very popular male name in Ireland; it pops up many times in the RC registers in Cardiff.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 May 23 22:30 BST (UK) »
I think it is a Cork name?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 May 23 22:31 BST (UK) »
Certainly was a large Cork representation in Cardiff 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 May 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have noticed that over the years on here  :)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 May 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that information regarding Florence. Very interesting reading.

Thanks also for the information about Ellen’s first husband Thomas George. Ironically Thomas Jones died in what was a workhouse in those days.
Thomas Jones is buried in a pauper’s grave in Cathay’s cemetery and not with his wife who was buried in St Mellons and had a large headstone.
We could not understand why TJ wasn’t buried with Sarah as they had had lots of children together.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the family “fell out” with their father but we think we now know why. Sadly we cannot go back to the person who told us about this family story because she has now passed away. Yes I know it would have been family folk-law but usually there is an element of truth in these stories.

We discovered a couple of weeks ago that TJ’s father left a Will. Among his effects he left rents from the lease of property in Station Terrace to TJ.
Obviously we didn’t know this fact when looking through Kelly’s Directory and just assumed that Ellen was living there as her name was given.
If the property was uninhabited in 1911, that fits with the story about the children leaving home and because TJ did not leave a Will, Ellen has inherited the rent from the leases.

We took her year of birth from the age she gave when marrying TJ in St David’s RC Church in Cardiff. It also fits with the 1901 census.
I had wondered if she married again before the 1911 census but because her name is still Ellen Jones in the Kelly’s directory, thought not.

We do not believe that Ellen had any children with either husbands. The relative that shared the story about her implied that Ellen did not like children. She certainly did not want to look after Thomas Jones’s younger children, aged 12, 9 and 7 when she married him so they went to live with older siblings.

SNG

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 May 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update. :)
Ages are often not that reliable. From the information you have given, she would only be about 22 years old when she married Thomas George who seems to have been about forty years older than her.
Do you not have that marriage certificate to check the details?
I realise it would not be part of your research but it would hopefully confirm her father etc.
The witnesses might be helpful in placing her too.

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 May 23 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks heywood.

Despite my suggestions from the comments made, my husband is of the opinion that because Ellen married his great great grandfather five years before he died and didn’t have a child with him there’s not much point in getting certificates for her.
He just wants to know what happened to her after TJ’s death.

Sad that both husbands died in the workhouse. We had wondered if she had remarried again but if she became a “lady of means” probably didn’t need to.

I will keep looking and if I find anything will let you all know.

Thanks for all your help. It’s very much appreciated.

As I said at the beginning, another pair of eyes often find what has been “staring me in the face”.

Diolch SNG

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 May 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought the same - not really your research.
It would be interesting to know where she went - hopefully one day!
Best wishes for you4 future searches.