Author Topic: Help with Joseph COLLIER b 1823 Wellington, Shropshire  (Read 156 times)

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Joseph COLLIER b 1823 Wellington, Shropshire
« on: Thursday 11 May 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Joseph Collier born 1823 wellingtonshropshire married to jane
lost as to where to find information birth certificates not available for this time can anyone help?

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Joseph COLLIER b 1823 Wellington, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

If I have the correct Joseph in the censuses I think this may be him in 1841 and 1851.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQR5-S47

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG6Z-KRZ

If correct  - he is showing as a gamekeeper in both censuses - the mother's maiden name for the children appears to be Scoltock ( can be worked out from the Groindex). There is a marriage for Joseph Collier and Jane Scoltock in Shrewsbury 22 Aug 1843. Father is named as William. Occupations given as tin plate worker but note his potential brother is recorded as a brazier in 1841.

There are potential baptisms for these possible siblings of Joseph namely Harriet, Charles and William in Shifnal with parents William and Catherine. Father's occupation is recorded as an ironmonger and grocer. There is a likely marriage between William Collier and Catherine Masefield in 1810. ( I suspect that William died later in 1841 after the census).

If you have access to FindMyPast the actual parish records for the baptisms and marriages referred to may be viewed.

Hope this helps.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 23 18:28 BST (UK) »
great  thank you for the information a great help  i am working on a budget  and have found  most information costs a lot  and have therefore not been able to progress my search your information is a good   addition   to add to my heritage  thank you so much

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 May 23 21:15 BST (UK) »
any info on william collier ,  tin plate worker  or jane scoltock shropshie area married to joseph collier?

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 23 09:44 BST (UK) »
Jane Scoltock's father is named as  Thomas Scoltock, a bricklayer on marriage cert. Censuses give place of birth as Eaton Constantine about 1817.

There is a baptism surname transcribed as Scottock in Eaton Constantine 28 Apr 1816 born 26 April - parents Thomas and Elizabeth. Thomas a bricklayer.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 23 13:11 BST (UK) »
thanks william all help is great
is there anyway  to find out where joseph collier gamekeeper worked  estate?

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
This is, I think, Jane's parents in the 1851 census. Their surname has been transcribed as Seollock! ( The writing on the original is difficult!).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG1C-512

There are probable burials for both Thomas and Elizabeth in Leighton in 1853. Elizabeth's maiden name may have been Brown as there is a marriage in Shrewsbury between Thomas Scoltock and Elizabeth Brown 7 Dec 1812.

I cannot immediately see the name of the estate where Joseph may have worked. He was living in Garmston/ Leighton in 1851. Googling these place names and looking at old maps of the area might help.

William

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 23 19:23 BST (UK) »
thanks for all the help much appreciated