Author Topic: Lairg Free Church Records  (Read 221 times)

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lairg Free Church Records
« on: Saturday 13 May 23 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi 👋

You’ve all been so helpful to me in the past and I am hoping you can help me again.
I recently found new records on find my past that have the Lairg Free Church records. I’ve found both a birth and a death certificate in those records. But I am unsure of how to view the actual records.

Can anyone give me some direction of where I can find this book online? Or can I order copies? I did look on Scotland people and the records are not there. I emailed them and they very kindly review the transcripts and sent me the info confirming it was the family I was looking for. But she had no extra info.

I’ll include my family info just in case someone can help and I am across the world with a big time difference.

Birth - LEXIE SUTHERLAND - Dec 15, 1846 to Donald Sutherland and Isabel Gordon

Death - ISABEL GORDON - May 24, 1848

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lairg Free Church Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 23 02:32 BST (UK) »
SP has 2 marriages recorded for a Donald Sutherland & Isabel Gordon - I wonder if it is the same couple?

22.12.1825 Kildonan
23.12.1825 Lairg
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 23 02:40 BST (UK) »
1851 shows Lexy Sutherland as 3yrs old

SP shows a Johanna Sutherland born 2.8.1841 to Donald Sutherland & Isabel Gordon
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline S13P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 23 03:20 BST (UK) »
Yes! That is them getting married in 1825,  I have these records. I am hoping to get the copies of these records (pic included). I don’t even know if it will include more information.  But I am trying to confirm parents for Isabel. Seeing a cause of death would be interesting. She was quite young. But I would love her parents names if possible.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 23 05:15 BST (UK) »
If you looked on ScotlandsPeople and did not see them, I wonder if it is because you looked at the Church of Scotland parish registers instead of the Free Church ones?

When you click on the index for "Church registers", what comes up automatically are the Church of Scotland ones. On the index page you will also find a button for "Roman Catholic Church" and one for other "Other churches". To find Free Church records, click on "Other churches".

The information in church registers is very variable. There won't be the amount of detail you get in statutory registers from 1855. Re the two entries for the marriage, the minimum that is recorded are the names of the couple and the date they announced their intention to marry. If you are lucky, there might be more, but you won't know until you look at the originals. The reason for the two records is that when the bride and groom came from different parishes, the banns were read in both places and they had to let the session clerk in both know. You should always look at both entries as one can give details not contained in the other.