Author Topic: HP Printers stop working after using non HP ink!  (Read 1323 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: HP Printers stop working after using non HP ink!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
According to Which in a published review there were 28 different HP printers which used this technology although they also found that a number of Epson printers also flagged up the use of third party cartridges.

PS they estimated that printer ink worked out to be about £1300 per pint

https://press.which.co.uk/whichpressreleases/pint-of-printer-ink-thatll-be-1300-please-which-reveals-the-eye-watering-cost-of-branded-printer-ink/

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 May 23 13:43 BST (UK) »
I finally got fed up with inkjet colour printer jets clogging through infrequent use of the colours, realised that I don't actually need a colour printer anymore and went for a monochrome laser printer instead. It's perfect. I'll never buy another inkjet printer.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 May 23 17:44 BST (UK) »
Exactly the reason why I’m looking for a new printer; although I want a colout laser.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 May 23 17:53 BST (UK) »
Exactly the reason why I’m looking for a new printer; although I want a colout laser.

Some good information on here:- scroll down below the advertised printers.

https://www.printerland.co.uk/printers/laser/colour

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 23 21:52 BST (UK) »
A barristers thoughts on this. 
Well worth watching if you own an HP printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnRrhgR68c

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 May 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
There is a huge tendency these days for companies to try to control the things we buy and the way we use them.

The business model goes back to King Camp Gillette, who sold his razors for peanuts and made a fortune from selling the razor blades, at least until other companies made them too.

These days technology makes it feasible to check exactly what is happening to the things they sell.

Car manufacturers install features which they disable unless you pay your monthly subscription.

Have a doorbell with a camera so you can see who is outside? It won't work unless you pay your subscription, or in some cases buy a replacement because the manufacturer has declared the unit "too old", though it was only bought last week.

A treadmill or exercise bike from that company which does a lot of telly ads? Without a valid subscription the brakes are locked on. No pain, no gain, so they make sure that you feel the pain in your wallet.

Mobile phone makers refuse to let you repair their handsets. Of course you can send it off to their "repair centre" for a month to have £30 worth of parts fitted for "only" £600, and it will be returned with all your precious photos destroyed, but these days you are not a "customer", just another stream of revenue. They will do their best to get that broken phone into landfill and sell you a new one.

So it is not surprising that HP (and others) are taking the opportunity to try to increase their revenue. You may need to keep copies of the original ads to fight them. If the ad said "HP recommends HP Inks" or some such, that implies that other inks would work, and they have stolen that advertised feature from you.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 May 23 17:36 BST (UK) »
And there was I worrying about the future use of A.I. Seems the future is already here in a different guise.......
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 May 23 23:10 BST (UK) »
I have always had Epson printers and bought compatible inks online and although a warning flags up, they have always worked, however, having recently bought a new model I haven't needed to buy cartridges yet. The other models always had five cartridges but the one I have now, takes six.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 May 23 23:35 BST (UK) »
Have a doorbell with a camera so you can see who is outside? It won't work unless you pay your subscription

Mine works perfectly well, the sub is only if you want to save all recordings.

Debra  :)