Author Topic: A date for this gentlemen's portrait  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
Re: A date for this gentlemen's portrait
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 June 23 19:18 BST (UK) »
RJ137,
Thank you
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 June 23 03:36 BST (UK) »
An extremely well executed drawing, possibly done by a professional.

Do you know the identity of the sitter?

Someone has obviously taken this photo through glass, so if you can track down that person, they should be able to tell you the location of the portrait when they took the photo.

I agree that it would likely be signed and possibly dated, so well worth a try I think, even if this is only a framed copy of the original, there may be clues.

It’s a lovely image of a handsome young man.  :)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 June 23 19:29 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

It's one of those situations where the exact detail is lost in time, and nobody who knew him thought to annotate the back or attach a label to the rear.

The person who I am helping understands him to be family, believes he would be in her pedigree but not sure which iteration of grandfather he might be. I will ask her the questions you set out.

Many thanks
Happy hunting
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 June 23 03:09 BST (UK) »
I hope you can identify him.

The assumption would be that he was fairly well to do as he is dressed well and has that “air” about him. Sitting for a portrait may be something those with a bit of wealth or standing may do. Knowing occupations of males in the family might help to narrow him down somewhat.

Good luck Canuc.

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 June 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

I emailed the person I'm helping, she's not confident. For a start she doesn't know where there was money in her pedigree to pay an artist for their skill.

The picture was in a collection of her mother's papers, but in isolation. She's working on some thoughts.

By posting here to get an opinion of the date of the portrait and the age of the man she hopes she can identify him by elimination. I hope to visit her in a few weeks and have two heads gong on the conundrum, mine with no preconceptions. Sometimes other people's brisk walls are more interesting than your own, and it keeps your skills honed.

Thank you for your efforts, I'll post on here if we think we have him identified.

Happy hunting
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 June 23 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hepburn,

I don't think so your man has a cleft chin, and I think he's a younger man at a later time due to the cravat.

Happy hunting
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 03:55 BST (UK) »
Was the picture that was in your friend’s mother’s collection the original or a copy?

In your research if none of the direct males look likely, perhaps investigate sons in law?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 15:18 BST (UK) »
It looks like a Pastel Portrait on Ingres paper. I wouldn't put his age any early than late teens, early 20s. he is very fresh faced.
I have read of people swapping trades, for example, "if you could fix my fence, I would do a portrait of your son.
I have seen portraits of people on here who ask the same question of how their relative could afford to have a portrait done.
There is also a possibly that it was done by a Family member.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU