Author Topic: wikipedia  (Read 915 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: wikipedia
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 23 15:40 BST (UK) »

Sorry, if I did not make myself clear. It was posts that I meant. Many forums allow modification of a post, by the author, for a limited length of time. It is often an automatic process. 7 Days, or 72 hours, or whatever after the post is made, then the "Modify" button disappears, or is greyed out. That type of forum is ideal as a source as it can no longer be modified. 

Regards 

Chas

You cannot 'modify' a post on rootschat after 24 hours though you can continue to add to a thread
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 May 23 15:59 BST (UK) »

Sorry, if I did not make myself clear. It was posts that I meant. Many forums allow modification of a post, by the author, for a limited length of time. It is often an automatic process. 7 Days, or 72 hours, or whatever after the post is made, then the "Modify" button disappears, or is greyed out. That type of forum is ideal as a source as it can no longer be modified. 

Regards 

Chas

You cannot 'modify' a post on rootschat after 24 hours though you can continue to add to a thread

This is what makes Rootschat an ideal source. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 May 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
Debra
my point is that we are posting personal information (names,dates, locations and other information on rootschat  and i was surprised to read a post I made attached to a Wikipedia reference. T   
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 May 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
RootsChat posts can be read by anyone online, so it really doesn't matter how many websites it is reposted to.  We do not discuss living people, only those who are deceased.

If in hindsight you are uncomfortable about something you may have posted in the past then I am sure that you can contact a moderator to have it removed.

I would be more concerned about the fact that if you were born in the UK more than 50 years ago anyone in the world can buy a copy of your birth certificate with just a name and reference number.  That gives me the creeps.

Debra  :)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 15:47 BST (UK) »
From past experiences editing wiki, forums and message boards as sources are usually challenged. If new information comes to light via RootsChat or another similar site if you want to advance the new information by getting it included on wiki either do an online article or get something published. Who you are and your background also matters. The most I've done to advance new information is to work with an Australian historian and get an article published in both our names. That carried enough weight to overcome the opposition on wiki that rejected the new information that had come to light on RootsChat, a source that wiki doesn't accept.

Blue