Author Topic: parents of william collier  (Read 472 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: parents of william collier
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Newport in 1792 between a Thomas Collier and Jane Garmeson.  Thomas signed the register so you could try comparing the signatures.  The marriage was also by Licence and Thomas's occupation was Brazier.

I think that you probably need to look at Newport registers to establish exactly which Colliers are the right family
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?f.collectionId=3155854&q.anyPlace=Newport%2C%20shropshire&q.surname=collier
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 May 23 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your PM, I will reply on here.   

If you look at Carole's replies you will see that the birth year of William is unlikely to be 1791. 

I have tentatively suggested that William may have come from Newport as that is where Thomas Collier who was mentioned on his marriage licence application was from though not necessarily born there.  (Their occupations were also similar.)  FindMyPast has marriage licences for Colliers in Newport, Salop which give additional information.  Often clues can be found in these.  Also you need to look for any wills made by people with surname Collier in Shifnal area and Newport area.  Look also at witnesses on marriages, it is especially helpful when they sign the register not as a 'x' as you have signatures to compare.

It is also helpful if you can give Names and birth years/places for any children that William and Catherine had, they can often be named after their parents. 

It may also be helpful to you if you look at the link I gave and try to put the results into 'families'

Sorry I can't help more this morning

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 May 23 13:09 BST (UK) »
ok so my information on william is from census 1841   looked up joseph collier his son census shows joseph age 20   his father william at 50 mother catharine at 50.siblings harriet,mary charles eventplace st mary shrewsbury , so census dated 1841 les 50 years dob approx 1791 seems make sense by ages

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 May 23 13:31 BST (UK) »
As Carole has explained ages on the 1841 census were rounded down to the nearest 5 years.  Even then many people appear to have been confused by this ruling, I have a few instances in my trees where it was wrong.

If the 1841 death is your William then as mentioned by Carole the age at death was 60, do you have this certificate

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 May 23 17:21 BST (UK) »
no i do not have access to the certificate an accurate age death would be good trying  with a church to get further information

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 May 23 17:27 BST (UK) »
Information on death certificates is dependent on the knowledge of the informant so cannot be totally relied on

Offline chrisCXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 May 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
so what is best source to define  dob death in1700s  struggling with  the information given agesand dates  lack of documents from 1700s is difficult,still no further links to williams parents

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 May 23 18:50 BST (UK) »
I am afraid tracing family prior to 1837 is often just pot luck, especially when you have no idea where or when they were born or who their parents were.   Have you traced all of Josephs siblings through available census to see if they are living with anyone who could be extended family. 

It is also worth looking at the occupants of adjoining properties in case there are possible relations. Marriage witnesses are also often worth investigation.  Newspaper reports.