Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 21st May  (Read 1484 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 21st May
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 May 23 09:25 BST (UK) »
Morning  folks
Hope everyone has a good day, a lot cooler today, strange weather , I want to get my bedding  plants sorted , not even been to the nursery's yet

Not a lot going  on really, I did mow the lawn yesterday, think my days of mowing will  be over soon, such hard work for me now,  don't get many men who want a little gardening  job locally but I will  keep my ears open. Not so many years ago men would like a little job for extra money, perhaps most get a good pension and no need to do odd  jobs.

Yes Viktoria, "turn back the clock" , i remember at the bus stop when I was at school,  if children were unruly Miss T, would have them up in front of her the next morning , woe betide any of them, the children in the compartment were high school children.

Well, must get on, duty calls

Have a good day folks

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 May 23 10:04 BST (UK) »
LM do you have any near neighbours who have older youngsters at school or college who might be interested in doing it? I often see mentions on a local fb page asking if anyone has any jobs for an eg 15 year old wanting to earn some money. They find it difficult finding any small jobs. Or try your local scout group if you have one near as they can earn badges for service or gardening or whatever and might know of someone. We also seem to have a few handymen advertising now to do odd jobs like assembling flat pack furniture etc, so mowing where you provide the machine might fit the bill?
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 May 23 10:45 BST (UK) »
Just wish it wasn't all wet on the ground - I NEED to get out there weeding (again)
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 May 23 11:04 BST (UK) »
We planted a rose bush given to me as a present last week, dug the hole,  and it filled with water straight away,

Quite a lot of our neighbours have asto  turf or slabs, looks very nice but I prefer the real thing and so I continue to mow and moan about it !!.

CF, the neighbours family don't help out their own parents,  one lad is over 30 and doesn't  appear to do a thing so I don't think he will will offer to help me with  my mowing even if I paid  and to  be honest I won't ask.

Bob a job doesn't exist now but it would be more than "a bob" but that wouldn't be a problem .

I will carry on whilst I can

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 May 23 13:11 BST (UK) »
Seemed like last Saturday most were taking the opportunity to mow lawns with a clear fine day and those that weren't at home or had done chores were clogging the roads, or at least in the few hours as we drove across the city they were. Perhaps some were busy shopping for mothers day, taking mum on an outing or ferrying families to sporting events etc but seemed busier than ever and especially around popular retail spaces, not that we were doing any of the above. Our lawns were done though by our mower man, he's contracted to a mowing service and probably only gets pittance himself but has always said is happy with arrangement and definitely gives us a good service and we tip him for that.

Week sped by with routine stuff, brief appearances at group activities and fine enough for the walks and line dried washing, some outdoor jobs when days warmed up a little, heaps to be working away at inside and towards move. Very windy last couple of days with subtropical activity and more weather watch, also tsunami awareness following earthquake in Loyalty Islands this afternoon, warning lifted but swells observed closer to high tide in the north.
Husband's brother and his wife and their adult son arrived mid-afternoon today from the far north, settled in now for the night next door, taking them to the airport Sunday morning for flight to Queenstown, hoping they get a good few days for their stay until Friday.

Seeing younger daughter again tomorrow morning, treated to a lovely Sunday evening meal by her last weekend as well as a generous gift which was very nice. Thinking cap on now for sons-in-law birthday gifts, fairly quiet one this year for one in north midweek gone but having small belated celebration soon, big 50 birthday last year and a new baby as a present the week before! Do have a couple of small items aside and a bit of planned shopping to do before all the family dates coming up over rest of month.

Can picture the scenario with the school children on the train quite well, LM, having not managed to avoid them a few times myself occasionally. They flood noisily into the carriages and dominate the space with their exuberance and often not a lot of consideration for others, say no more ...
… but good to hear rest of the outing was enjoyable and good luck with the car and also the bedding plants :-)  Also fingers crossed for better conditions for all who are hankering to get theirs into a bit of gardening too.

A few minutes into Saturday NZ now ...

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 May 23 17:05 BST (UK) »
L.M,I have Astro turf,I had my little dog a female and they do make scorch marks on real lawns when they spend a penny!
Flash Harry was a tiny toddler and came every weekend ,I chose the artificial turf so I could disinfect it ,also there are service pipes underneath.
Real turf would have to be dug up should any problems arise.
I could not mow it these days.
However ,no worms etc ,well not that I ever see.

Hope all goes well with your car , and it doesn’t take too long.

Thanks for your news folks.It keeps me going!
Viktoria

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 May 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
Car ready to collect tomorow,  ant wait, the man said it does  look nice, I just hope I have done the right thing.
Spent a long  time in the garden in a tee shirt tidying  up, , quite warm, lifted pots that the contents look as if they are struggling, i have put them in "casualty corner" to give them a chance,  my husband is in a fleece, say  no more!
Viktoria, I think everyone's news keeps us going , your worm have gone next door.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 May 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
Oh poor souls, next door is where my son is going to live,conveyancing in progress .
Needs drastic horsetail treatment ,surprisingly the surveyor did not comment.
It is completely flagged over!
He had a nice vegetable patch at his previous home ,but has ordered a giant shed,he likes to restore things .
Will have trees in tubs but also could lift flags , but horsetail treatment is a must first .
With roots as long as five feet it is almost impossible to eradicate
 No worms is a sign I imagine of high water content and sour soil.
I must get some good compost to enrich it.

Hope your car is really nice L.M.
Do let us know and be confident ,you were not at fault remember.
Cheerio ,hope everyone has a nice day tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 May 23 21:22 BST (UK) »
I don't find many worms in my garden ,    it is a clay soil,
Our worms must break their  necks trying  to  burrow as the ground is often hard, murder to dig ready for bedding  plants, not bought any yet due to weather,  normally a Whit weekend job.
From quite a nice day in the sun it is very cold tonight.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London