Author Topic: Where is this cemetery ?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is this cemetery ?
« on: Monday 15 May 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all it's been a long while since i've entered here but now iv'e another question that relates to my relatives.... here goes.
Can someone please tell me which cemetery the following burial records belong to?
 They are on familysearchorg

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/485337?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Iv'e tried cross-referencing existing find a grave profiles from the list of cemeteries in the area but have not come up with a match for any of the memorials.
It says 'Huddersfield Cemetery' on the original document and I'm trying to link a person from one cemetery to another on find a grave.

Below is the memorial I created but I'm having doubts wether it is in the correct cemetery

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/253878843/grace-haigh
at all saints Huddersfield

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Ian

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this cemetery ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure where you are located, but an idea might be to visit your local LDS Research Centre to view the films related to Huddersfield OR contact Kirklees Libraries in Huddersfield. 

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 23 16:00 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the burial register entry for Grace Haigh, buried 13 Oct 1903
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-896B-8ZY?i

Your memorial on Find a Grave has her in All Saints Churchyard.
You are right in now thinking that is incorrect, this is a civil cemetery register. I believe its Huddersfield Cemetery now known as Edgerton Cemetery.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/485337?availability=Family%20History%20Library

I've looked at those.
1 The last two films in that list 'say' they are for burials with the consecrated sections - that is not correct as both those registers state they are burials within UNconsecrated sections (which includes your Grace)

the film Grace's entry is in is:
1482944 dates 1891 to 1916 - register number sequence ends at 19015 and is still billed as Huddersfield Cemetery

the next film is
1482945  dates 1917 to 1945 register number sequence starts at 19016 but its now billed as Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield

see this page for more info

https://hdfhs.org.uk/edgerton-cemetery/

Boo

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 23 16:13 BST (UK) »
Just to add to Tickettyboo's helpful reply, Grace's burial entry indicates that it's a family grave, and as she was a widow, it's likely her husband was buried there too.

Also, you've recorded 13 Oct as her date of death, when in fact it's her date of burial. According to the probate index she died on 9 Oct, and left a will with what looks to have been a fairly substantial estate for the time.

The Huddersfield & District FHS can provide memorial photos and transcriptions for Edgerton Cemetery - see https://hdfhs.org.uk/cemetery-reports/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the response !
Bumblebee, I live in Brazil but  maybe there's a chance that this summer when I visit the area I could call in at Huddersfield at the library...I'm also in desperate need of the 'overlays' for the burial plots for Dewsbury cemetery  and Thornhill St. Michaels if they exist at all !
Iv'e heard they may be kept there.

Boo, yes those are the images iv'e seen and no I wasn't aware of the errors in unconsecrated and consecrated record sets I thought it was strange as I knew Grace was a widow in 1891 so her husband Joseph must have died sometime between 1881-1891 but couldn't  his burial and with it saying family plot well......now I shall trawl through the other unseen records. I have now made another memorial for Edgerton so hopefully she is in the right place now !

Arthurk, thanks yes now iv'e changed the burial/death dates on the new memorial. Oh yes just found the probate record I wonder who Tom Hall was ?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your visit to UK - enjoy!!!  My advice would be to contact the relevant areas - we are usually very helpful here!  Good luck

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
Arthurk, thanks yes now iv'e changed the burial/death dates on the new memorial. Oh yes just found the probate record I wonder who Tom Hall was ?

£1.50 for a pdf copy of the will, and it would probably make it clear - but as the will was proved in London, make sure you include the handwritten folio number as part of the order, otherwise it will be rejected.

Meanwhile, the 1901 census has a Tom Hall, mineral water manufacturer, age 47, born in Huddersfield, living in Heanor, DBY, with his wife Lily L and 3 month old son (also Tom). There's a possible birth for the son in the Basford Reg Dist in Mar qtr 1901 with mmn Smith, and that seems to be corroborated by a marriage between Tom Hall and Lily Louisa Smith in the Huddersfield district in Sep qtr 1900 - also confirmed by a notice in the Huddersfield Daily Chronicle of 1 Sep 1900, and possibly other papers too.

So, who was Tom? Probably too old to be Grace's grandson, but maybe a nephew. Or maybe he'd previously been married to Grace's daughter but she had died? (A Tom Hall married a Mary Rebecca Haigh in Meltham in 1888, but I've no idea if this is relevant.) Or maybe just a good friend?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 May 23 20:35 BST (UK) »

Boo, yes those are the images iv'e seen and no I wasn't aware of the errors in unconsecrated and consecrated record sets I thought it was strange as I knew Grace was a widow in 1891 so her husband Joseph must have died sometime between 1881-1891 but couldn't  his burial and with it saying family plot well......now I shall trawl through the other unseen records. I have now made another memorial for Edgerton so hopefully she is in the right place now !

As far as I can tell this lady who was buried 13 Oct 1903 was the widow of Alan Brook Haigh, so not entirely sure that you have the burial for the correct Grace if you were looking for one with a husband called Joseph?

certainly an Allan Brook Haig was buried in the same plot as Grace (section 49, grave 25) on 20 May 1877
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L96B-ZG69?i

and the probate calendar of 1877 shows that probate was granted to his widow Grace

Boo

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 May 23 20:46 BST (UK) »
Boo, Oh I did get it wrong didn't I  ;)
many thanks for putting me in the right direction.
Yes her husband was Joseph iv'e attached the last census I found of them both together