Author Topic: Where is this cemetery ?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this cemetery ?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 May 23 11:09 BST (UK) »
It is a bit of a puzzle to me why the Haighs, and later the Hinchliffes, are in Dean Street in the census, and yet it says Wellington Street on the probate (though Wellington Street is in the same enumeration district)
Anyway, last electoral register entry for Joseph in Lindley is 1887
Township of Lindley-cum-Quarmby
Ownership Voters
Haigh, Joseph
Place of abode - Dean street, Oakes, Lindley-cum-Quarmby
Qualification - Freehold Buildings
Description of Qualifying Property - Oakes

There is a burial for this Joseph, at St Stephen Churchyard, Lindley
page 263, entry 2104
Q6 (?presumably the section/plot no?)
Joseph Haigh, abode Wellington St, Lindley, buried 27 Mar 1886, age 72

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 May 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
jonw65, Yes Yes Yes ! that's the couple from Oaks Lindley ....the bit that ties it in is 'William Henry Haigh', their son, card nailor who I have found in Batley Cemetery who settled in Batley so that death index for grace in Dewsbury should be her.

She maybe was buried at Huddersfield because Iv'e checked all the municipal burials at Dewsbury, Batley and Heckmondwike and nothing came up for that year.

The 1901 census through me a bit because family search had daughter as Emily b.1885 ? her age was quite a bit out could be an error ?
Iv'e no idea who Peter Singleton, carrier and John Blackburn, weaver were ?

Boo, that burial looks interesting for William in Lindley and yes maybe Grace is buried in the same place it's a shame about the records although jonw65's electoral registry puts him still alive in 1887 ? then again "Dean Street' seems to reoccur quite often :-\

Well we've made some progress here then back on track !  just got to tie this in with Matilda Haigh buried in my 2nd great grandfather's family plot :)
dobfarm, I had checked the 1911 for Grace but only found her in 1901 and those two death index's of 1908 & 1903 that would fit.

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 May 23 12:39 BST (UK) »
Theor son's burial record at Batley 'Card Nailor' ps. there's only his wife buried in the same plot up to 1967 and at the side his wife's relatives the 'Heys'
uum not able to attach file again apparently its too big  ???

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 May 23 14:04 BST (UK) »

Pretty sure that Grace died 8 August 1908, at least that's what the probate calendar says, so she won't be in the 1911 or 1921 census.
It's a surprise the calendar hasn't indicated a death somewhere other than the Lindley address, if that is what happened.

Yes that is odd, the 1909 Probate calendar says on the first page:
NOTE: - In every case in which the place of Death is not specifically mentioned it may be taken to be the same as the residence of the deceased.

This death registered in Dewsbury District is the only one I can see that would fit with the date of death as recorded in the probate calendar, but if she died at her residence the death should be registered in Huddersfield District.
I think the only way to be sure would be to spend £7 and get the pdf of her death registration from the GRO

Boo

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 May 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Yes that snippet of information about William Hinchcliffe jonw56 placed Emma their daughter  marrying William living at dean street Lindley with children's birthplace saying 'Oakes' and by 1911 settled in Dewsbury.... all tying in nicely.

There's a marriage in the 'English marriages and Banns' on Ancestry for a Grace Parkin and Joseph Haigh 1849 Huddersfield but I don't if it's just the Banns or the marriage record itself I can't open as I don't have a subscription at the moment I don't want to abuse all of your already generous contributions to my searching but if someone could see if Joseph's father's name is mentioned it might point somewhere towards my Kirkburton Haighs ?
Ian

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 May 23 19:06 BST (UK) »
Parish Church of Huddersfield
2nd January 1849, after Banns
Joseph Haigh age 27, Bachelor, residence Huddersfield, occupation Slubber
 father Joseph Haigh occupation Slubber

Grace Parkin age 24, Spinster, no occupation, residence Golcar
  father Samuel Parkin occupation Delver

Groom signs, Bride marks X
witnesses both sign,  Wm (can't read surname),  I/J Wilkinson

Boo

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 May 23 12:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Boo ! I'll have a dig around now and see what I can find..
Ian

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 May 23 14:21 BST (UK) »
There is a burial for this Joseph, at St Stephen Churchyard, Lindley
page 263, entry 2104
Q6 (?presumably the section/plot no?)
Joseph Haigh, abode Wellington St, Lindley, buried 27 Mar 1886, age 72

The registers I have access to only go up to 1890, so I'm not able to look to see if there is a later burial of a Grace in that plot

I haven't found any mention anywhere of burial registers after 1890, either at Ancestry (which has others of the church's registers) or West Yorkshire Archive Service, which would have any originals that have been deposited. Possibly the register is still at the church and/or still in use, so you'd need to approach them directly to get any information from it.

It looks to be quite a large churchyard, so I'd be surprised if it was full with no more burials after 1890. There are in fact a number of CWGC memorials there (various dates 1914-1945), though you can't always tell if the burials are there as well:

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/2040530/lindley-st-stephen-churchyard/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iasquith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 May 23 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk,  Iv'e created a profile on find a grave for Joseph at St. Stephens, Lindley and put in a photo request in the off chance there's a marker.
Ian