Author Topic: Crazy Ethnicity Estimates Ancestry v MyHeritage  (Read 385 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crazy Ethnicity Estimates Ancestry v MyHeritage
« on: Monday 15 May 23 15:41 BST (UK) »
I've just uploaded my Ancestry DNA profile to MyHeritage and paid for the DNA features. The ethnicity estimates on MyHeritage are all over the place though.

Ancestry: England & NW Europe* 86%, Scotland 7%, Ireland 3% (*Sweden & Denmark 4%)
MyHeritage: England 3%, Ireland, Scotland, Wales: 48%, N&W European (France and the low countries): 47%

Now I have never found a single Welsh or Scottish ancestor (Yorkshire is as far north as it gets) and just a couple of Irish (one family in the early 1800s) and my N&W European ancestry is limited to some Huguenots, so the MyHeritage ethnicity estimate is completely wrong, whereas the Ancestry one is pretty much bang on (mostly east and central southern England).

Is this usual? Is Ancestry more loaded with UK members which leads to a more accurate ethnicty estimate?

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Ethnicity Estimates Ancestry v MyHeritage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 23 15:51 BST (UK) »
Don't know the answer but I am interested I this subject

I was disappointed Swedish didn't show up in my DNA and I do know he was my gt grandfather before anyone suggests he isn't

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 23 16:51 BST (UK) »
Quite a common topic on the Board - for example see

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810806.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 02:15 BST (UK) »
Totally usual with My Heritage especially -with Ancestry uploaded kits. I am a half Scandinavian on my heritage Lol. ;D ( I have zero Scandinavian ancestors, except probably  for the usual-  back in the very long, long, long  lost mists of time somewhere,)

Is this the same person ?
Ancestry:
Scotland 37%
Ireland 15% 
Wales 34%
England and north-western Europe 12%
Sweden and Denmark 2%

And

My heritage :
Scandinavian 47%  :o
Irish , Scottish and welsh 37%
Iberian 15 %  :o
Lol

... And It  gets worse lol
My heritage and  child of the above
49.9 %  Irish, Scottish and Welsh
47% North and West European :o
3% Finnish
And a big fat zilch Scandinavian . :o ;D how did  I  not pass my almost 50% Scandinavian onto my child ?? Lol it's  a miracle.
Way way off too - the welsh Scottish Irish should be  almost 100% on  my child- minus a Finnish ggg grandfather on my hubby's ( who almost.100 welsh)  side and  an English  gg grandfather on my paternal side.

Ancestry has it  almost correct with both myself and my child , whilst My heritage is totally laughable and  you'd  think they were  two different people.

My father is Welsh and go back centuries in Wales ( except for one line English) and mother is  Northern Irish , and  all her lines for generations were born in  Ireland too. Then  many of  them go back into Scotland at some  point  in time ,that I can't  back to  as it is too far back to trace with lack of records in Ireland . But all 100% backed  up by  factual dna  and also paper trails.(Add the Scottish and Irish together for my Northern Irish  mother which is 53% on ancestry, a bit high but almost correct - It should be 50%) 
And what's  with the Iberian ? lol

My first cousin tested with My heritage and didn't  use an uploaded Ancestey kit . They have his correct .( his father is my mother's full brother)
They have him as 50% Scottish and Irish, unlike my break down of being Scandinavian lol, and  the other half of him is 50% English  (my cousin's mother is  fully English, so that's  correct too).

My heritage have obviously mixed up my mothers side  with  being Scandnavian  , and goodness  how I've got Iberian lol , perhaps that's  my long lost English  bit lol.  I should have a small percentage of English in me, which my heritage haven't  got me as at all., but Ancestry has at 12%  -.my  welsh father,  on his maternal side , the grandfather was English, and they go back for centuries in a little  village in Gloustershire- it's  actually my very longest  line as the church in the village kept good records and have proven it with dna too  . Which ancestry has picked up on it now. They didn't pick up on it  when I first did the test,  I did have zero  English according to them lol , now they have given me 12% (ancestry updated the  ethnicity  months ago)

I have noticed with many many other  peoples tests ,the ones that are uploaded ancestry tests to My Heritage are totally way off. They don't  seem too bad with the ones that  have actually tested with My Heritage.

Anyway I am expecting to become something different  again when they finished tweaking things. I am a changeling lol .
The ethnicty part of both  sites  is really not worth the ( virtual) paper it is written on, and  is not  to be taken seriously. Treat it with a pinch of salt   There is definitely a massive difference between using an uploaded Ancestry kit to My Heritage than testing with  a my heritage kit. I don't  think it has anything to do with more British people being on Ancestry  - as it isn't in all the cases I have seen with my close relatives, it's the uploaded tests to my heritage that are a problem . My Heritage kits seem to be OK  to me with all my close  relatives/ matches that have tested with their kits , but like myself, are are way off  on all of all my other close/matches who are using an uploaded Ancestry test to their site.

Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Notwithstanding the My Heritage issues, it's always interesting to see that unexpected ethnicity results are often dismissed out of hand, but I do often wonder how much expectation bias is involved in those results that "must be right"?
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
I've just uploaded my Ancestry DNA profile to MyHeritage and paid for the DNA features. The ethnicity estimates on MyHeritage are all over the place though.

Ancestry: England & NW Europe* 86%, Scotland 7%, Ireland 3% (*Sweden & Denmark 4%)
MyHeritage: England 3%, Ireland, Scotland, Wales: 48%, N&W European (France and the low countries): 47%

Now I have never found a single Welsh or Scottish ancestor (Yorkshire is as far north as it gets) and just a couple of Irish (one family in the early 1800s) and my N&W European ancestry is limited to some Huguenots, so the MyHeritage ethnicity estimate is completely wrong, whereas the Ancestry one is pretty much bang on (mostly east and central southern England).

Is this usual? Is Ancestry more loaded with UK members which leads to a more accurate ethnicty estimate?
The CEO of MyHeritage admitted their ethnicity estimates were basically terrible :o! They keep promising to improve them, and the Communities did improve, but nothing has been done to improve the ethnicity estimates for many years, so who knows if they are actually doing anything to improve them or not. It probably requires a lot of investment to be able to achieve any where near any kind of accuracy and they may not have the profits coming in to justify the expense.