Author Topic: Johanna KER  (Read 205 times)

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johanna KER
« on: Monday 15 May 23 21:41 BST (UK) »
I have been researching JOHANNA KER, twin sister to William Munro Ker, born or baptized on 3 August 1823 in Alness, Scotland.  I have researched ScotlandsPeople and can find her baptismal record but from that point on, nothing.  William is not a problem, just Johanna.  I have checked Canadian records because that's where her brother migrated to, thinking she may have gone with him, but nothing. 
Would love to get direction on her possible marriage, and date of death whether in Scotland or elsewhere.   Parents are Henry "Harry" Ker/Kerr and Margaret Munro.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ireland, Scotland, England, United States, Germany, Australia.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: JOHANNA KER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 23 22:47 BST (UK) »
When did her brother emigrate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline robang66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
I have not found that out.  He died on 31 July, 1895 in Carleton, Ontario, and is buried at Beechwood Cemetery, Ottawa.  He's in the 1851 Scotland Census, but Johanna is not.  So, either she married (spouse unknown), (and no definitive record on ScotlandsPeople),  died (unable to find out on ScotslandsPeople, or migrated and I don't know when.  He married Martha Maxwell in Ottawa in 1865.
That's just about all I know.  Any help much appreciated!   
Robyn
Ireland, Scotland, England, United States, Germany, Australia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:04 BST (UK) »
Have you found William in the 1841 census? If he was with his parents but Johanna was not, that might be evidence to suggest that she had died young.

Henry/Harry Ker(r) and Margaret Munro seem to have had quite a large family, the first three born in Kincardine and Croick, then six more in Alness.

Looks as if several of the family died in Edinburgh, not including Johanna.

Edit: In the 1851 census in Dreghorn, Ayrshire, there is a 26-year-old cook, female, unmarried, born Alness, surname Kerr, whose first name is transcribed as Jocines on one web site, Joanes on another and James on SP. You need to have a look at the original and see how you read her given name.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.