Author Topic: Monaghan deaths 1892 obituaries?  (Read 298 times)

Offline TM1990

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan deaths 1892 obituaries?
« on: Tuesday 16 May 23 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Looking for advice regarding what newspaper would be the most likely candidate for an obituary for someone that died in Monaghan Armagh in 1892. I see there are several local as well as broader papers active at this time, however before I pay to hopefully find something I was wondering what my best starting point would be.

John Odgers died in March 1892 and had a lengthy probate/will, would seem like a person who would have also had an obituary written, however I have not found thus far.

thanks for any advice

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan deaths 1892 obituaries?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
In Ireland it wasn’t common to have an obituary published unless you were someone rather famous and the editor thought it appropriate. Mostly all you get are death and funeral notices, but even then in rural areas where local newspapers were not published every day, that didn’t always happen as the person was normally buried before the paper came out. (3 days being the norm in Ireland).

John’s death certificate says he was a coachman. I’d be surprised to see an obituary for him unless he did something unusual in his life.

I did search the British Newspaper archives (which has lots of Irish papers) but did not find him mentioned.
Elwyn

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 02:16 BST (UK) »

John Odgers died in March 1892 and had a lengthy probate/will

Is there more than the two pages that can be seen posted on family trees?  It looks like a pretty standard will to me.

Debra  :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 08:24 BST (UK) »
I also checked the British Newspaper Archive and didn't find an obituary, but as Elwyn says, unless this man had other strings to his bow, an obituary wouldn't be an expectation.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 08:53 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

John Odgers died in March 1892 and had a lengthy probate/will, would seem like a person who would have also had an obituary written, however I have not found thus far.

John died at Annagola in Glaslough R.D. in Co Monaghan. It's on the border with Co Armagh.
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/trough/donagh/glaslough/annagola/

His wife Mary Ann Odgers died 5 January 1891 at Anagola [sic].
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1891/06079/4733996.pdf

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5346996#map=13/54.3026/-6.8558

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 09:07 BST (UK) »
John Odgers died in March 1892 and had a lengthy probate/will
Is there more than the two pages that can be seen posted on family trees?  It looks like a pretty standard will to me.
Debra  :)

The copy of the Will from the Will Book can be seen on PRONI's website.
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
The Will of John Odgers late of Annagola County Monaghan Coachman who died 18 March 1892 at same place was proved at Armagh by the Reverend Edward Allen Foy of Middletown County Armagh Clerk the sole Executor.
He died on 18 March and it was proved 10 May. Seems pretty straight-forward to me also. Didn't leave a huge fortune so it's likely there either wasn't a death notice or obituary in any of the newspapers online or, if there was something placed in the local paper, it's not available online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 10:14 BST (UK) »

Adding to aghadowey's information-

NAI Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1858-1922

Deceased Surname: Odgers
Deceased Forename: John
Primary Beneficiary/Executor: Edward Allen Foy
Date of Death: 18 Mar 1892
County of Death: Monaghan

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014906/005014906_00379.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 17:04 BST (UK) »
Monaghan death notices are indexed on the County Library's site
https://monaghan.ie/library/index-to-obituaries/

Some of the newspapers are on British Newspaper Archive/Findmypast others the Irish Newspaper Archive or can email the library per the details on the link if find in the index (Catriona was very helpful and provided me with several images during COVID restrictions, then without charge).

I imported all the pre & post 1900 to Excel couple years ago then sorted alphabetically and there are no Odgers listed.

Whilst agreeing with the comments about death notices/obituaries in Ireland in general, I did actually find entries for 19 & 22 year olds 1883 & 1891 of just the Monahan Infirmary Porter's children and some lengthly obituaries for their parents 1907 & 16. The Northern Standard & People's Advocate are a bit more gossipy with local info from there and Glaslough area. There are more entries than might be expected 3400 pre-1900.