Author Topic: Help with the Army Service Corps GEORGE BROUGH & PERCY MAYO  (Read 292 times)

Offline Damo1970

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with the Army Service Corps GEORGE BROUGH & PERCY MAYO
« on: Tuesday 16 May 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
hello all, i am writing a blog about George Brough (1890-1970) of Basford, Notts, who is famed for producing the Brough-Superior motorcycle. Some state that he served in the same regiment as Percy Laurence Mayo (1891-1972) of the Coventry Eagle Motor Co., - i can prove that Mayo did serve in the Army Service Corps, but can find no record of George Brough,

can anyone confirm one way or another?

also here are three records for Mayo, so if anyone can sum up all the abbreviations/facts for me and tell me when he enlisted, or any other info, again i'd be really greatful.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the Army Service Corps GEORGE BROUGH & PERCY MAYO
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 13:44 BST (UK) »
If you know where George Brough would otherwise have been living in 1918/19 if he wasn't away serving, you could see if you could find him on the relevant Absent Voters' List.

Alternatively, if he's not on the Absent Voters'List, then either he didn't serve, or was discharged early.

STG

Edited to add : On his marriage cert in 1916 his occupation is given as "Motor Engineer", so maybe he didn't serve as he could have had a reserved occupation.
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
There was a George Brough that served in the ASC, service number M/397285, apart from his Medal Index card, I can't see anything else for him. (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 14:34 BST (UK) »
I doubt M/397285 is the man you are looking for as I have just found a pension card for him, and it gives an address in Handsworth, Birmingham

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 14:44 BST (UK) »
A bit off-topic but just in case you are not aware, the book Sons of Thunder: writing from the fast lane: a motorcycling anthology by Neil Bradford contains some interesting stuff about T. E. Lawrence and his favourite, the Brough Superior.

available at archive.org
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 15:01 BST (UK) »
Some state that he served in the same regiment as Percy Laurence Mayo (1891-1972) of the Coventry Eagle Motor Co., - i can prove that Mayo did serve in the Army Service Corps, but can find no record of George Brough,

also here are three records for Mayo, so if anyone can sum up all the abbreviations/facts for me and tell me when he enlisted, or any other info, again i'd be really greatful.
The abbreviations on Mayo's MIC are as follows: RASC - Royal Army Service Corps - prior to 1918 it was known as the Army Service Corps. The MT stands for Motor Transport. Pte is Private, M/305598 is his serivice number as a private soldier, with the M indicating that he was employed in the motor transport branch of the ASC/RASC. He was subsequently commissioned in the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. The date he first went to France is self evident. He received the Victory and War medals, the authority for which was the officer pages on the RASC rolls 1011/B212/ 21754.
He would have been allotted a new personal number when he became an officer. As an officer he would have had to apply for his medals and I suspect that the date of 23.9.20 on the obverse of the card is when his request was received by the War Office. The date the medals were issued is shown by the IV (issue voucher) date of 16/1/1922.
Percy Mayo's documents as an officer have survived and can be found at TNA in the Series WO 374/47089. They haven't been digitsied. His soldier documentation either hasn't survived or may be included within his officer records.
We don't have his date of enlistment, however a Pte Sydney Frank Land RASC with the service number M/305596 (that is, 2 before Percy's) enlisted on 11 Dec 1915 so it's a fair bet that Percy enlisted on or about the same date. In fact the enlistment date may be misleading. It is possible that he signed up under the Derby scheme, in which case the December 1915 date would have been when he was attested. He would then probably have been sent home to await his call up papers which could have come some months later.

Offline Damo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Andy thanks so much, here's another couple of snippets you may be able to help with.

Offline Damo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 15:15 BST (UK) »
another

Offline Damo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile