Author Topic: Seeking clarification of Isabel Kerr Car, Orr, Oar) and Malachi Bell of Jedburgh  (Read 342 times)

Offline matth364

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,
I last wrote the group in 2016 seeking information about my husband's g grandfather, Adam Bell b. Jedburgh 1839 died 1906 Toronto, Ontario, the son of Agnes Easton Bell and James Hardie.  The forum gave me great information. Now, my husband has DNA matches to be evaluated, which we didn't have the first time around.  In 2016, I'd taken Adam back one generation to his mother, Agnes Easton Bell, who records indicate, was born c. 1815, died 1868 in Denholm, age 54.  Some family trees show her parents are Margaret Brown and David Bell, although this couple wasn't married until 1826, and neither this forum nor I were able to confirm Agnes' birth records.  I thought perhaps she was an Easton rather than a Bell.  So there are several gaps in that timeline that I'll continue to work on.

In the meantime, I'm writing because I'm stuck at his 4th generation grandfather, who has the distinctive name of Malachi Bell, no dates.  I'd have thought with a name like that, that he might be easy to find on either Scotlandspeople or Familysearch, even though 1700s records are fuzzy.  According to the match list, he m. Isabel Kerr (Car, Oar, Orr) (1740-1832).   I've found an Isabel Orr mentioned in several records, but not married to a Malachi Bell. 

Going back to the last generation listed, my husband's 5th generation grandparents are Robert Orr (Oar) 1727-1800 (no wife listed); James Bell (1739-1819) and Janet Brown (1750-1825); I found them married at Crailing on Aug.6 1775; and John Bell of Minsca and Torbeckhill (1712-1778) and Mary Glendinning (1718-1788).  They married on Dec. 6, 1739 in Torthorwald, Dumfries.  I've found several articles about the Minsca and Torbeckhill Bells, but once again, none linking a Bell to an Orr. 

Any advice or thoughts on a direction to go would be very welcomed. 
Thanks very much.  Jean in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Agnes Easton Bell, who records indicate, was born c. 1815, died 1868 in Denholm, age 54.  Some family trees show her parents are Margaret Brown and David Bell, although this couple wasn't married until 1826, and neither this forum nor I were able to confirm Agnes' birth records.
Her death certificate should tell you her parents' names. Have you seen it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The index to ScotlandsPeople has her death registered in Cavers, Roxburghshire, in 1868, aged 54. Her mother's maiden name is given as Brown. She is indexed as Agnes Easton Bell and as Agnes Easton Scott.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Jean, always good to remember that there may be more that one couple with the same names, particularly for more common names.

Looking at the Old Parish Register index on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, there are these births or baptims showing on the registers to parents David Bell and Margaret Brown:

1806 Adam Bell in Auchterderran
1806 Andrew Bell in Auchterderran
1808 Thomas Bell in Crailing
1822 David Bell in Crailing
1827 George Lily Bell in Crailing

If it were to be the same family group, there is certainly a gap between 1808-22 for other births. Note that the family trees online that you mention seemed to have filled that gap!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matth364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone for your advice and direction.
a) Yes, I have Agnes' death certificate, so will go with the information on that.  I've really been keen to find her birth registration.  Margaret and David were faithful registrants for their other children.  So I'm going to continue to explore the notion that Agnes may have been born illegitimate, or born an Easton. 
b) yes, I've looked at some other's family trees (though probably not all that's out there) for insight and information, but I'm always on the hunt for an actual registration to attach to my tree.  I know that gets harder the further back one goes.
Many thanks again.   

Offline matth364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
And I'm still looking for Malachi married to Isabel.  I'm mindful that Ancestry DNA uses family trees as a source of their matches, but I've been unable thus far, to find which tree has Malachi on their website.  So in this timeframe, will I have to investigate solely on Scotlandspeople Roxburghshire church registers?   

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
in this timeframe, will I have to investigate solely on Scotlandspeople Roxburghshire church registers?   
Yes, unless someone has recorded and published the Monumental Inscriptions.

It may be that no-one has so far put Malachi on a tree on Ancestry. Even if they have, any information about him will have come from either Scotland's People or (if they exist) published MIs.

Best to forget about Ancestry and concentrate on finding original records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline matth364

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yes, thank you, Forfarian. I agree, preferring not to copy other's work if at all possible, original is always best.  If I enter the names, I'll leave it an 'unknown' on my FT until I can find further evidence.  I'm also looking on virtual volumes to find kirk sessions if they exist.  A bit of a tough go, but worth it if I can find anything.