Author Topic: James Swift, Toronto (married Teresa McCarrey)  (Read 420 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Swift, Toronto (married Teresa McCarrey)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 19:22 BST (UK) »
Sounds good Sandra!

John Hallam's will details are in the Globe and Mail....listed under properties that he owned are two houses on Huntley Street (numbers not given). 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 19:38 BST (UK) »
Marriage of James Swift and Teresa McCarry is transcribed here...see Page 181

https://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maryc/tor1864.htm

James says he is 29, born in England, living in Toronto.   Both his parents are dead.  Teresa is 23, born USA, living in Toronto.  Both her parents are dead.  Witnesses Robert Teasdale and David McLaren of Toronto.   01 Feb 1864.

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 19:40 BST (UK) »

Daily News Advertiser
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Fri, 22 Jun 1900 Page 4

https://www.newspapers.com/article/daily-news-advertiser/124863156/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
1851 census in Chorley,   John Hallam, his mother Susanna (age 44, widow) and several of John's siblings are living with John's Uncle (presumably Susanna's brother).  John is 18, a power loom weaver, and was born in Chorley. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 20:23 BST (UK) »
1851 census in Chorley is a James Swift, age 16, with mother Alice Swift, age 49.  Brother Thomas Swift, 22 and sister Alice 12.   Also on the census is Alice Sr's brother John Gillabrand, age 47.   Everyone born in Chorley.

James's occupation is power loom weaver - (same as John Hallam).

Fits with the James Swift birth record that Sandra found earlier...but that has James's mother Alice as a single woman

Baptism: 2 Nov 1834 St Laurence, Chorley, Lancashire, England
James Swift - Son of Alice Swift, Single woman
    Abode: Chorley
    Baptised by: J.S. Master Curate
    Register: Baptisms 1828 - 1836, Page 246, Entry 1963
    Source: LDS Film 93704

??? ??? ???
RK

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, for this information on James Swift.  Weirdly, I was recently doing some research on a Hallam branch (married into mine) in Salford, Lancashire, but am pretty sure they have nothing to do with John of Toronto!
I am interested in James because I wanted to find out if he was the brother of a relative of mine, Joseph Swift (1831-1892) who did settle in Toronto.  He was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire and married Eliza Richardson in 1859 in Sculcoates, Yorkshire.  He was the son of Timothy Swift and Charlotte Ford.

I have done quite a bit of research on Joseph, after neglecting him for a number of years, and am sure he is my relative, as I found newspaper references that place his daughter back in Yorkshire as a companion of sorts to her aunt (Richardson) and uncle by marriage.  So I have all I need on Joseph.  Just thought since I could not find James in England he might have gone to Toronto too.

One interesting note about James Swift Jr. is that he appears to have married Charlotte Holland twice, a couple of years apart, once in Durham Co, ON and then in Carleton Co., ON (probably Nepean).  I can't think of a reason this might have been necessary.

Thanks very much for the death notice on James who died in 1911.  It would have been the icing on the cake if the funeral had been described including attendees.  Joseph Sr. had a son Joseph who remained in Toronto and died in 1933.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 21:41 BST (UK) »
Should have added to my last posting - Joseph had a younger brother James b. ca 1834.