Author Topic: Daniel Ross 1590 - 1630 of Dunbar Scotland  (Read 127 times)

Offline Bilbobabble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Ross 1590 - 1630 of Dunbar Scotland
« on: Thursday 18 May 23 06:13 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to investigate the family of Daniel Ross (b 1590, Dunbar).

I believe he had a son Daniel II (b, 24 JUN 1613, Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland d. 4 MARCH 1691 Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts).

Daniel II had 3 or 4 sons Fennel (Finlay) (b. 1621 East Lothian, Scotland d, 12 FEB 1683, Haverhill,Essex,Massachusetts), John (b. 1635 Ayrshire, Strathclyde d 3 JUN 1724 Wenham, Essex, Massachusetts), Killicross Gilchrist (b.1639 Dunbar, East Lothian, d 11 JUN 1683 Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts) and possibly a second John (b.1640 Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts d. 1700 Bradford, Essex, Massachusetts)

It appears that Killicross Gilchrist fought in the Battle of Worcester and was captured and sent to Massachusetts as an indentured servant (possibly to Thomas Kemble of Charlestown). Fennel (the oldest) may have also fought, been captured and transported to Massachusetts.
At some point, it seems the father and mother (Daniel II and spouse) and brother John also immigrated to Massachusetts.

This branch of Ross established in and around Ipswich Massachusetts. A grandson of Killicross Gilchrist named Joshua (b. 13 MARCH 1682 Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts d. 14 JANUARY 1712 Rothwell, Holy Trinity, Yorkshire, England) returned to England and established a branch of Ross in Yorkshire around Selby.

Much of this narrative is derived from birth and death dates and locations and little more.

I am seeking assistance from both sides of the Atlantic to correct, validate or expand this narrative.

I look forward to any and all comments/suggestions.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Ross 1590 - 1630 of Dunbar Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 23 10:18 BST (UK) »
The earliest surviving baptisms recorded in Dunbar date from 1672. The oldest minutes of Dunbar kirk session date from 1659.

Offline Bilbobabble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Ross 1590 - 1630 of Dunbar Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 23 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2