Author Topic: Might "Tyn Llwyni" and "Tyddyn LLwyni" refer to the same place?  (Read 282 times)

Offline edianter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Might "Tyn Llwyni" and "Tyddyn LLwyni" refer to the same place?
« on: Thursday 18 May 23 15:45 BST (UK) »
TL;DR: Is it likely that "tyn" and "tyddyn" might have been interchanged when recording place names?

I recently received a copy of my ancestor Elizabeth Grace Parry's birth record from the General Register Office, and it lists her birthplace as "Tynllwyni, Llanbeblig" in 1873. Her father, Joseph Parry, is listed as a "husbandman" (non-landowning farmer) by profession.

I have now searched every map and resource I can find, and I carefully examined every page of both the 1871 and 1881 Llanbeblig Censuses, looking for an address or place name that matches "Tynllwyni" (also Ty'n Llwyni, Ty'n Llwyn, and Tynllwyn)--and I have had absolutely no luck.

HOWEVER, there is a farm by the name of "Tyddyn Llwyni" to the southeast of Carnarvon (south of Caeathro), which appears in the Llanbeblig Censuses and maps.

(Link to map: https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/970ac1d1-5cdc-4ab2-82f3-21df46fec1ff)

Is it possible that this is the same place the birth record was referring to? I'm not very familiar with the Welsh language--how likely is it that "tyn" and "tyddyn" might be interchanged when recording place names?

To make matters even more confusing, the family occupying the "Tyddyn Llwyni" farm in the 1881 Census is an almost-exact-match for the family members I'm looking for. Elizabeth's parents have the correct names and approximate ages, but Elizabeth is listed as "Elizabeth Jane," not "Elizabeth Grace."

I know that recordkeeping errors were somewhat commonplace, but I'm not sure how to judge the "Tyn/Tyddn" and "Jane/Grace" situations: (1) are they exactly this type of recordkeeping error, and I have already found what I'm looking for?, or (2) is it just a massive coincidence that there is a different farm and a family with such similar names, but I need to keep looking?

Thanks!

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Might "Tyn Llwyni" and "Tyddyn LLwyni" refer to the same place?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 08:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, they are the same. A newspaper of the time mentions Joseph Parry of 'Tyddyn Llwyni' , near Caeathro. I've lots of family in that area as well.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 10:00 BST (UK) »
Oh dear. I thought I'd answered it last week. I must have not posted!

As Huwcyn has said, they are the same.

Welcome to Rootschat, edianter  :)

Gadgt
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline edianter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Huwcyn and Gadget!

I appreciate the warm welcome, not to mention the dopamine hit of a confirmed detail in my genealogy search! (Plus, that same census record that I was unsure about contains 2 siblings for Elizabeth, which are new threads I get to pull on. Woo!)