Author Topic: Finding out if my grandad served in the war  (Read 393 times)

Offline Antony1977

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding out if my grandad served in the war
« on: Thursday 18 May 23 19:22 BST (UK) »
Good evening , how would I find out if my grandad Stanley Frank Deaves bn 01/06/1910 served in WW2? Sadly both my parents are now dead and I have no other relatives to ask, I never recall my dad talking about it, my grandad would have been 30 ish during the war so would he not have been eligible? Or would he have had some other role? I’m sad to say I don’t even know what he did for a job, I think I recall my dad saying he was a tool setter ? Would there be some official war records on him?

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding out if my grandad served in the war
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:01 BST (UK) »
Did Stanley Frank Deaves have any children between 1939 and 1945?
If so, his occupation should be on their birth cert or baptism record.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Antony,

Have you found your grandad in the 1939 Register? That should tell you what his occupation was. From that you may be able to work out if he was in a reserved occupation and therefore unlikely to have been called up to serve in the armed forces. His occupation might also suggest  which of the armed forces he might have gone into if he did serve.

If he served in the armed forces his record will be held by the MOD but it will be difficult to track down his record unless you know which service he might have been in. I am not aware of any system for initiating a general inquiry across all three services, but  I suppose you could try asking. Follow the process explained here: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records You will need to provide as much information as possible, starting with his full name, date of birth, and possibly his address. Other things you could include are if he was married at that stage and if so, his wife's name (your grandmother, I assume). You will also need to provide a copy of his death certificate before any records, if they exist, will be released to you.

Unless something extraordinary happened to him, such as being taken prisoner of war or being declared missing for a brief period of time, there are unlikely to be any records which refer to him which are available online. That said, it would be worth putting his name into the search on sites like Ancestry, FindMyPast and Fold3 (part of Ancestry). Fortunately his surname is fairly uncommon but even so, you are likely to get a lot of false positive results which it may be difficult to eliminate.

If he is likely to have got married during the war, check the marriage certificate and it may say what his rank and service was. Also, check the electoral registers for 1946 and see if he turns up where you would expect him to be. He may well still be serving somewhere else, for instance in Europe or the Far East, and so he could listed as an absent voter, and again this should show his service details.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:10 BST (UK) »

Hi,

His occupation in 1939 was "Fitter Hydraulic Lifting Appliances".

There were lots of Fitters in the list of Reserved Occupations in WW2,

https://culturenl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Reserved-occupations.pdf

Same thoughts as Andy J2022  :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Antony1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you all 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 fitter hydraulic lifting appliances - I wonder what he did and where, I will have to start the next trail

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
I notice that he married Eileen M Ashman in 1940, so you will need to get hold of the marriage certificate to see if there was any mention of him serving.

Offline Antony1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 23 20:17 BST (UK) »
Super will do, that was my Nan

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 May 23 04:43 BST (UK) »
3 children found all deceased

Valerie J Deaves 1941 -2015 married Reginald L Borrie 1962 and John Day 1973

Bryan Roy Deaves 1943 -2020 married Joan L Tranter 1969

Michael Hugh Deaves 1946 - 2018

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 23 05:34 BST (UK) »
Valerie and Bryan were born in Birmingham, whereas Michael was born in Thanet.
Was the birth in Thanet due to relocation caused by military service?
Maybe worth buying the Thanet birth cert first to check the father's occupation.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex