Author Topic: James K Buchan of Falkirk  (Read 291 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
James K Buchan of Falkirk
« on: Saturday 20 May 23 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace family of James Kennedy Buchan. I have details of his birth 05 Jun 1907 . Falkirk . 479/573, but that was some time ago and I cannot remember where it was found. At his wedding in Carmarthen, Wales, his father was also James Kennedy Buchan a Butcher. Is it possible to find his siblings from census records as I have drawn a blank? There are a few called Buchan in South Wales, but at present I cannot link them.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James K Buchan of Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
I suspect that you are looking in the wrong place.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, buy some credits, and use some of them to view his birth certificate, which will tell you the full names of his parents and the date and place of their marriage.

Then search the births indexes for births of Buchans after the marriage date, using the mother's maiden surname as a search term.

You will also be able to find him and his family in the 1911 and 1921 censuses on the same web site. You will not find them on any other web site.

I think you will find that his mother was Mary Ann Starkie, and that the family in 1911 consisted of Mary Ann, 39; James, 37; John, 13; Cecilia, 11; Mary, 10; George, 8; James, 4; Barbara, 1.

In 1921 there are Mary A, 49; James, 37; Cecilia, 22; Mary, 20; George, 18; James, 14; Barbara, 11.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it is no wonder I could not find anything.
Of the family I though could be related, I have now found he was from Ireland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 23 15:05 BST (UK) »
Who was from Ireland?

This looks to be the birth the father of James born 1907:

James Kennedy Buchan
Birth 28 Sep 1873 Alloa, Clackmannan
Parents  John S. Buchan and Mary Kennedy

The marriage of parents:

JAMES K BUCHAN and MARY ANN STARKEY
Ref 465 / A / 63
Alloa (Clackmannan)

You can view these documents online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Forfarian has added the family details from the index for 1911 and 1921. 1901 below which would be a few years after parents' marriage in 1897. Everyone showing as born in Alloa, Clackmannanshire:

James Buchan 28 Plumber Lead
Mary Ann Buchan 29
John Buchan 3
Aecellia Buchan 2...likely Cecilia from Forfarian's notes
Mary Buchan 1 months

Address 17 Glebe St, Falkirk Stirlingshire

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Not seeing deaths so far for the children of James and Mary Ann except for a baby, Elizabeth, who was born in 1905 and died in 1906 in Falkirk.

Son James you have.

George shows as having married an Anna Martin in Ontario Canada in 1933. He was also a butcher, like his father, when he married. I would imagine he made his life from there in Canada?

Cecilia, I think this is her www.familyhistory.bdm.qld.gov.au/details/c5a3f7b807cff90d0b35f6ad6687eb21a369fe8f70b3ef5fbbdc889c3dd88c36

Death registration: Cecilia Allen Hunter
Birth year:1899
Death date:18/12/1983
Mother's name:Mary Ann Starkey
Father/parent's name:James Kennedy Buchan
Registration details:1984/50007

So you have siblings John, Mary and Barbara to progress  ;)

Monica

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 May 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
The reason I am asking is a Buchan member of my family. In the 1950s Carmarthenshire, three children from three different couples, were adopted by two other couples all within the same Williams family. One retained his name and two were given new names to blend with their new family. I am trying to establish if one of them was adopted. With such happenings when young, it is no wonder some struggled as adults.

In asking about relatives of James Kennedy Buchan, I am trying to eliminate relatives on the Buchan side. From what you have provided, it seems he was in the area alone. I know he was living in Carmarthen in 1939 and married in 1941, but do not know why or when he arrived or what his was doing. While in Carmarthen he sold fish in the Williams family business. From the marriage certificate, his father was a Butcher, so Plumber Lead is a little different, but my family also gave inaccurate information. But, George in Canada also gave Butcher??? The date of birth offered was from his death registration, but Glebe Street, Falkirk rings a bell from somewhere. You have offered plenty for me to look into. He is only on the outskirts of my family tree, in being a second marriage and I don’t believe they had any children of their own, though that is something I am now checking. Thanks for all your help.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 May 23 22:03 BST (UK) »
Falkirk Herald 27-2-1904:

ACCIDENT TO A FALKIRK PLUMBER. - On Mon-
day afternoon one of the plumbers in the em-
ployment of Mr David Draper, plumber, Fal-
kirk, named James Buchan, residing at Glebe
Street, Falkirk, met with a serious accident
while working at the Redding Co-operative So-
ciety's new branch at present in course of [    ]-
tion at Shieldhill. Buchan was in the act of
coming out of one of the windows on the second
floor, with a view to get upon the roof, when
the accident happened. He had caught hold of
one of the stones above the window, which, how-
ever, gave way, and he overbalanced himself, and
fell a distance of over twenty feet. Dr Wy[    ],
Polmont, was speedily in attendance and found
that Buchan had sustained a compound frac-
ture to one of his legs immediately above the
ankle. He ordered the man's removal to the
Falkirk Cottage Hospital, where his injuries are
now being attended to.

Later articles tell us he was awarded compensation of 18/- a week from his employer, then returned to work and got full wages, before ceasing employment as his lameness meant he couldn't do roof work.

A dispute about compensation was decided at Falkirk Sheriff Court on 30-12-1905 - James was to get 7/11d a week from Draper.

In July 1907 Draper went to court to ask for the weekly compensation to be reduced as James was earning £1 9/9d a week in his current employment, but had only earned an average of £1 5/4d a week when the accident took place. The Sheriff ruled in James's favour as the reason for his higher income was that he worked 6 days a week as a plumber, but was now working a 7 day week. Sunday work was extra, so shouldn't be taken into account.

Draper took the case back to court in October 1909, and this time the weekly compensation was reduced from 7/11d to 3/4d.

In November 1909, a general meeting of the Operative Plumbers' Association was held in Munro's Temperance Hotel and James was presented with a cheque for £100 owing to his being incapacitated by an accident from ever following his trade as a plumber. "Mr John Allan, secretary of the local branch, in making the presentation, referred to the high place Mr Buchan held in the estimation of his fellow plumbers, and hoped he would be long spared the enjoyment of this sum of money, the providing of which, at a time of need, was such a good feature of the trades union movement. Several plumbers spoke in congratulatory terms, and Mr Buchan suitably replied."

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 May 23 22:19 BST (UK) »
Poor James. Repercussions from the accident likely affected him all his life.

From this family tree www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/2550460/person/6004930673/facts it includes details from his death registration on 14 March 1962 in Stirling:

At 9 Union Street. "James Kennedy Buchan, Plumber (Journeyman), Retired. Widower of Mary Ann Allan Starkey". Usual address: Kennet House, Kennet Village. Cause of death: Arterio-sclerosis with peripheral circulatory deficiency; Bi-lateral amputation of legs; Left heart failure. Age given as 88. Informant: John S Buchan, Son, Muirhead Fam, Larbert [John Stewart Buchan]

Original image not included, just this transcription.

Monica