Author Topic: Sinzig am Rhein, Germany,a list of burials/cremations of local residents.  (Read 153 times)

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am seeking the burial place, crematorium of my late ex husbands parents. I contacted the local RC Church of the area and was given some information such burial place and location and dates.  However, although the surnames are correct the Christian names are not. This has confused me and I am now seeking an official Registrar of burial Cremations for the area in the hope of verification.
My ex husbands parents lived in this are since marriage at the same address that I forwarded.
Any help would be appreciated     

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Sinzig am Rhein, Germany,a list of burials/cremations of local residents.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 23 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrizia,

Are the Christian names completely wrong? It used to be quite common here for babies to be given several Christian names - usually names of relatives - but not to be called by the first official Christian name.

I found that very strange when I came to Germany more than 30 years ago. As time went by, I found out that lots of people I knew were actually known by their second or even third Christian name. Several people I know use names - again, usually the same as a special relative - that aren't even on their birth certs. Rather weird.

I was talking once to a friend name Ede. I asked him what it was short for, and he said he didn't know. I said I found it weird that he didn't know about his own name, to which he replied that it wasn't his name - his name was actually Matthias. I asked why he used Ede and he said his family had always called him that - it was his dead grandad's name.

So it could be that your ex in-laws were known to their friends and family by names which may not have been the (first) ones as shown on their birth certs.

It might be worth contacting the local offices in Sinzig:

The responsible office appears to be the Ordnungsamt, in the Rathaus (town hall) in Sinzig:

ordnungsamt@sinzig.de

They are responsible for BMD certs and, according to their website, Ahnenforschung (genealogy).

https://client.rlpdirekt.de/public/svsinzig_bis/home/abteilungen-von-a-z/

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sinzig am Rhein, Germany,a list of burials/cremations of local residents.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Karen for the information you have provided to me. I have made note and will contact both within a couple of days.

Regarding what you wrote about Christian names was interesting. I was not aware of that.  However in this case re  my ex husbands parents the names they used when addressing each other and on official documentation (such as a witness on our marriage certificate and as a manager at the local bank) was the names used when I requested information.  However, I will submit the same and see what transpires.