Author Topic: Translation of place names  (Read 287 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Translation of place names
« on: Saturday 20 May 23 14:22 BST (UK) »
The following is an extract from a transcription of the 1542 will of Clement A'Court of Waltham, Kent.

"Also I geve to Mathewe my sonne my tene[me]nt yn Shythcowrt att the fowthesyd? of the Streate wt all the lands att the south syde from Pedlynge [Pedlinge] unto Northeley yn Walthm and Elmested"

I can read the majority of it but can anyone translate/decipher the following parts for me?

"Shythcowrt att the fowthesyd? of the Streate wt all the lands att the south syde from Pedlynge [Pedlinge] unto Northeley"

I am guessing "fowthesyd of the Streate" is "southside of the street" but that's only a guess.

"Shythowrt" is written as "Shithcourt" further on in the will where Clement leaves his son Peter his "tenent and mansyon place at Shithcort".

I presume "wt" is short for "with"

Thanks for any suggestions or corrections

Matt

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of place names
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 23 15:33 BST (UK) »
"Wt" is an abbreviation of "with". What looks like an f will be a long s, so "sowthesyd" = "south side". You are right on both counts.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of place names
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 23 00:00 BST (UK) »
"Wt" is an abbreviation of "with". What looks like an f will be a long s, so "sowthesyd" = "south side". You are right on both counts.

Brilliant, thank you. I am working with a transcription rather than the original [although I have that as well]. "South side" did seem to be the logical answer given the phrasing.

Thanks again
Matt