Author Topic: 1953 Essex floods: Stanley Gray age 47 MOD war department 'officer'  (Read 581 times)

Offline Ldigby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1953 Essex floods: Stanley Gray age 47 MOD war department 'officer'
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 February 24 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello I hope this chat is still active.
Stanley Gray was my great grandfather. There is extracts about him in the book “the 1953 Essex Floof Disaster” by Patricia rennoldson smith. Page 83.
He was a war dept constable. He was alone at 11:50pm when he telephoned headquarters from havengore bridge, sergeant gray decided he would go and warn the stockman at havengore farm. He then went to Taylor’s hut to report back to headquarters but that was the last anyone heard from him. People saw him on the roof of Taylor’s hut when the flood water had gotten higher. The Southend pilot saw him there too. He survived there overnight. It was reported in the morning he tried to wade back to foulness. Sadly he drowned. His body was found two months later. He was only 47. I have spent many years trying to find why there are no memorials for him and why he was never commemorated for his heroic acts that night. My name is Leah Digby and I am his great granddaughter.

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Leah.
Have you tried to contact any of the residents on Foulness Island? You may find that some of them may have information, or stories that were handed down. Good luck with your research.

Regards

Martin
Warwick- Farnham Essex, Pelhams, Hadhams & Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire, Lee Kent.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 April 24 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Leah, I was the originator of this item. I have sent you a personal message now.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 April 24 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again Leah, Forgetting my courtesy welcome to rootschat new members. Hope we proceed to earning your g/grandfather his due recognition.
As your first message has been sent from me - look along the top line where this enquiry is found and 'My messages' requires a click to open the page where you (and only you) can read it.
best wishes.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 April 24 18:10 BST (UK) »
Leah, tried sending this as personal message at 6.06 pm today sunday 21st. Informed "the inbox "is full". Therefore likely as a new member you don't know how to operate the system. I've explained more in the message below on that point.
So I'm leaving this text open to all to read as I have no other means to contact you, and as said there's no progress possible until you make further access to rootschat.Please bear in mind I am getting on in years right now and may not be available always to assist you.

Was hoping I'd get something back Leah, the case is still "active" as far as my research work is concerned and it was live on site through to my 2nd message which followed my direct personal message at 3.20pm when I noticed your connection (green light) was shining below your entry. If you need further help in respect of dealing with personal messages don't hesitate to go to help item on the top line and look for customer support.
I can't do anything more - such as contact you beyond personal message sent before 3pm. The person who has/buys a copy of the death certificate holds the key which will ensure progress is made once they inform me of the contents. best regards,

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 April 24 19:36 BST (UK) »
I can't help with anything to do with the floods, but on personal messages, you need to make a few normal posts before they're unlocked for you. At the time of writing this Leah, as a new member, has only made one, which probably explains the 'mailbox full' message.

The solution to this is either to continue to discuss on the public forum, or for Leah to make a few more posts in order to unlock them. Short posts in this thread, such as "Thanks" or "I'll get back to you on this", should be enough (as I understand it).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ldigby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 April 24 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you to all for your help! I have managed to reply to Keith via the email address he kindly provided over private message. Apologies for the slow response.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 April 24 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind reply Arthur - Luckily later this very evening both Leah and I have begun discussions and the path seems favourable that with the information to hand will enable Stanley Gray to earn the recognition his sacrifice deserves.