Author Topic: SUSANNAH ROBERTS (TRIAL) 1801  (Read 196 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SUSANNAH ROBERTS (TRIAL) 1801
« on: Saturday 20 May 23 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
     I'm hoping that someone maybe able to tell me how to find the trial in Staffordshire of the above SUSAN aka SUSANNAH Roberts.  I would like to find a description of her and other details to compare her to my ancestor named Susan ROBERTS.  Both girls sent to NSW on the 'Glatton' as convicts in 1802.

No. - 270
Name -  Susannah Roberts
Offence/Sentence - Summer Assizes, stealing wearing apparel & to be transported 7 years
Date of Reception - First class, 27 July 1801
Final Discharge - 10 Aug 1802
Behaviour - Orderly
Amount of Earnings - nil
General Remarks - removed from Stafford 8 Aug 1802 and delivered 10 Aug on board a vessel below Chatham bound for New South Wales.

My Susan ROBERTS was tried in Middlesex April Session 1801 Convict No 96 aged 18 and she was in New Prison, born in Mullingar Ireland also sent on the "GLATTON" to NSW, she was supposedly married at the time of her conviction but I cannot see any evidence of that so far.

Her indent is very hard to read and there is one small word that could be "married" just too hard to read though.  Anyway thanks and kind regards Dianna

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SUSANNAH ROBERTS (TRIAL) 1801
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 23 03:20 BST (UK) »
I presume you know the one born Mullinger had a fair complexion, red hair and grey eyes.

can't see a description of the other one so far.

I think the one who is Married is Susannah Roberts age 42, charged with stealing a shawl and 15/- of Mary Ann MADDER, but she is found not guilty. And the dates look to be wrong too, but she is just coming up because of the algorithms.

I can only see the record you quote.

The only newspaper account [Gloucester Journal, 3rd August 1801],  of the July 27th assizes just summarises and she must be one of the six sentenced to 7 years transportation

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 23 03:28 BST (UK) »
Dianna has been working on this ancestor for some time  ;D

Here are just a couple of the previous threads which may be a help in getting "background". ;)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=553711.msg4066302#msg4066302
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=838378.msg7039329#msg7039329   

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 23 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi yes I'm attempting it again.  LOL Thanks for the information mckha489.  Well I will keep plugging away at it.  LOL

At least I have the TWO girls separated still collecting bits and pieces.

My Susan (as I call her) the MDX girl, the last record I have for her is in SYDNEY re her husband JOHN ROGERS probate record.  I am ordering it that now just to see what it say's and also Susan was a sponsor for a baptism in 1829.  See attached then that IS IT FOR SUSIE. Lol many thanks for your time.  Regards Dianna