Author Topic: What is your Most Common Names in your Family Tree?  (Read 926 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Most Common Names in your Family Tree?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 08:22 BST (UK) »
I have 6 generations of Abraham Garrad, all from Suffolk and Essex.

I did some analysis many years ago on a family line of the Vanstone family.
More than 50% of all the Vanstones, on the 1861 census, shared jut 7 forenames!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
A common tradition was to give firstborn sons the name of the father's father, which clearly affects the apparent frequency of given names.  My grandmother came from a Suffolk family with parallel branches, many of which named the sons Edmund or Brice alternately, causing much genealogical confusion.  I visited the ancestral graveyard, where Edmunds could be seen everywhere, but none of them a direct ancestor of mine as far as I could tell from the dates.

Other connected Suffolk families (Robinson) seemed to name every eldest son John, come what may.  It is an important biblical name, and the Bible was a standard source of inspiration for naming for centuries.  At least the clerics would have known how to spell those names, even if the accompanying surnames were only approximate.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 16:38 BST (UK) »
A common tradition was to give firstborn sons the name of the father's father, which clearly affects the apparent frequency of given names.  My grandmother came from a Suffolk family with parallel branches, many of which named the sons Edmund or Brice alternately, causing much genealogical confusion.  I visited the ancestral graveyard, where Edmunds could be seen everywhere, but none of them a direct ancestor of mine as far as I could tell from the dates.

Other connected Suffolk families (Robinson) seemed to name every eldest son John, come what may.  It is an important biblical name, and the Bible was a standard source of inspiration for naming for centuries.  At least the clerics would have known how to spell those names, even if the accompanying surnames were only approximate.

On my paternal line which is in Suffolk, Richard was a common forename. Richard Titshall born 1728 in Barnham is the eldest known Richard on that line, but his maternal grandfather was called Richard Lovack so that may be where the name comes from.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain