Author Topic: Michael & Philip Brady / Terenure  (Read 716 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael & Philip Brady / Terenure
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 May 23 10:04 BST (UK) »
Have you found any other Michael Bradys with a father Philip from Terenure?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 May 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
Have you found any other Michael Bradys with a father Philip from Terenure?

In the vicinity (Terenure, Rathfarnham, etc) yes. There are two with parents Philip Brady & Marianne Lynam:
15 Jan 1870 (least likely)
27 Dec 1871 (most likely)

These two also have a Michael baptised 31 Aug 1862.

and by Philip Brady and Catherine Reilly:
27 Sep 1870

(I mention the latter because I think he'll be important in finding out details of Michael's father - I have a strong hunch they're cousins, as are the two Philips).

Though another angle was mentioned in an earlier post by shanreagh - if he wasn't even born in Dublin, then I'd be forcing "loosely fitting" pieces together when the real person could be elsewhere.

I think my reluctance to pull the trigger is just based on all of the other evidence being VERY strongly tied, whereas the link I have between Michael and parents Philip/Mary is very loose. I guess I'd rather spend time trying to get all the pieces, as there is SOOOOO much misinformation from other trees on Ancestry. And also the fact that 'Mary' in other parts of my tree has been VERY interchangeable, sometimes even a complete swap of first and middle names!

Philip, in July 1903, was living at St Patricks House, and elderly home:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sca/

The census from two years prior:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Ushers_Quay/From_O_Connell_Road_to_Valencia_Circular_Road_South_Side_/1303121/

Which is another angle i'm coming at, to see if (rather than getting Michael's details directly) I can get Philip and Mary and perhaps details of them and work down.

Though even then, a death record from 1903 that matches St Patricks house (and based on other records, is AROUND the same likely time of death) also puts him at 80 years old, two years after the census that had him at 80:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05647/4589479.pdf

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 May 23 10:44 BST (UK) »
To add, regarding Michael’s in Terenure, the ones above are just the ones I found birth records for. Search results with general documents turn up rather a lot more Michael Brady’s born in 1872 living in the area, just without parent details.

The point I’m at I guess is that i have a couple, Michael and Mary, two of the most common names, who’s mothers are both called Mary, and who’s registration documents refer to OTHER Michael Brady’s and Mary’s 😂
It’s a tangle.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 May 23 12:12 BST (UK) »
I think the point I am making is that you know your Michael has a father Philip of Terenure and that he was alive in 1891.

You post:
In the vicinity (Terenure, Rathfarnham, etc) yes. There are two with parents Philip Brady & Marianne Lynam:
15 Jan 1870 (least likely)
27 Dec 1871 (most likely)

Michael born January 1870 died in March 1871. Hence the naming of Michael born December 1871 after the deceased child.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 May 23 13:33 BST (UK) »
You post:
27 Sep 1870”

This Michael (son of Philip and Catherine Reilly) is here in 1901 with his siblings.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines/Swanville_Place/1297533/

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 May 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
I think the point I am making is that you know your Michael has a father Philip of Terenure and that he was alive in 1891.

Yeah. Would the above details be enough for you to be “certain” about the December 1871 version, despite the age discrepancies in later years?

I can’t find any details of any Philip marrying a Mary Lynam anywhere, so I guess it’s the insights the members here provides that helps, like:
- naming patterns (mentioned in an earlier post)
- going on from naming patterns, whether parents who name another child the same as one of the same sex that died are MORE likely to be following the patterns, so that certain details of their parents etc can be inferred with some good confidence.
- use of middle names or even an entirely different name from the given (seemingly more common with females)
- a dislike by Irish people of the time towards British formalities and therefore perhaps inaccurate info provided
- what an unmarried woman might refer to herself on a birth record. A “married” name or other?

And so on.

Hoping a DNA kit (waiting on results!) might shed some light on things, given that my son did one with his mother and it DID reveal matches, albeit the closest one I could wrap my head around was from Michael’s son Francis.

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 May 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
You post:
27 Sep 1870”

This Michael (son of Philip and Catherine Reilly) is here in 1901 with his siblings.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines/Swanville_Place/1297533/

Yeah. I have an (unproven) hunch that this Michael is a cousin, and also might be the Michael that appears as a sponsor on “my” Michael’s records. I just need to sort of prove the link. Maybe second cousins, and their fathers (both Philip) might be first cousins.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 May 23 14:52 BST (UK) »
Yes it is difficult. I offered a different Michael Brady earlier as the witness who could be a relative.

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 May 23 15:25 BST (UK) »
Well thank you for looking. I’m going to just plod on under the lose assumption that Dec 1871 Michael is my guy. If it is, and I can nail the full details of his parents, then yes I think that’s where the Philip/Mary and Philip/Catherine will converge.
I suppose the tricky bit there is we’re around the time the civil records started so the names provided/spelling (Gaelic) and other info offered is a bit different.

And just when I find people that appear good, I find it’s a non-transcribed/image less record so will probably have to look at more traditional means of getting the info 😂

Thanks again for your time, it’s much appreciated!!