Author Topic: Michael & Philip Brady / Terenure  (Read 718 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael & Philip Brady / Terenure
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 May 23 00:13 BST (UK) »
- going on from naming patterns, whether parents who name another child the same as one of the same sex that died are MORE likely to be following the patterns, so that certain details of their parents etc can be inferred with some good confidence.

I don't think you can be so definite.  What you can infer is that the first Michael would have been named according to family patterns.
The second Michael may have been named  in memory of the first who was named according to tradition.
I have come across second named ones who have been named like this. ie another Michael. I have also come across the second named being known informally by a another family name or nickname. So a second Michael may be called 'Paddy', then that is made into Patrick by later officials, or if the second child looked likea more distant family member then named for them

- use of middle names or even an entirely different name from the given (seemingly more common with females)

Sometimes those middle names or different names are in fact nicknames for the same name so Nancy, Agnes, Ann/e; Esther, Hester; Catherine, Kate, Kitty  and are not different names at all.
Second names were often traditionally given after receiving the first communion and were often a Saint's name so a child known as John might recieve a saints name of Patrick.  I've heard of famiilies where the boys have continued the Saint's name of the father. 

I think i would be inclined to accept the name/parentage for now.  And see where it gets you.  I have found that if some thing does not spring out as a possibility it is better to leave it for a while.  More records, databases might become available.
Search on for siblings of Michael and explore their naming patterns and track them down the generations 
Search on for siblings of the parents and explore their naming patterns  and track them down the generations   

And my last bit of advice for this post - don't let a database escape, old or new,  without you putting in the names of your ancestors.  How otherwise would I have found my gt grandafther's brother  and been able to track him to find more of his/my family?  They lived in different parts of Ireland, one in Co Londonderry and the other in Co Carlow and my gt Grandfather always maintained, to his children, that he was an only child.

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 May 23 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the pointers regarding names! I’m getting there as far as the siblings go, so fingers crossed!

And given that most documents where an age is require rather than a straight-up date of birth show quite a lot of swing (even when comparing the same families from 1901 and 1911 censuses and often it’s worse in the latter), I think it’s a fairly safe gamble so I can move on.

Hopefully it’ll work out, and as I’ve mentioned a few times, I have a very strong feeling that MANY of these other Brady’s I’ve come across whilst figuring things out will likely be all tied in anyway 😂

I’m sure I’ll be back. Thank you for your time & help!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 May 23 08:22 BST (UK) »
My last points
As far as I can recall, you have your Michael in 1911 with his family.
He is absent in 1901 but his family are there. He is serving in the mi,Italy.
You have a military record where he names that family.
That record refers to an earlier military record which references his father as Philip of Terenure.

I think you have mentioned Philip Brady and Catherine Reilly.
Their son Michael is present in 1901 and there is a later marriage record for him.
So, you know that is not your Michael.

Then there is Michael born to Philip and Mary Ann Lynam. He, at the moment, is the ‘best fit’.

If this is not him, you would need to find another Philip with son Michael in Terenure.

You have children’s names, I think for Brady/Lynam.
Look at baptism sponsors.
The  Bradys in Terenure could then be listed - I think that is what you are doing and go through them in the same manner.

Good luck
S
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redbullmarky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 May 23 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you again! And yeah you summed it up pretty much spot on.  The solid links I mentioned:

- Michael’s attestation links him to father Philip
- His subsequent military papers in 1914 links his former document (via regiment number, height, location, etc) as well as his wife, marriage date and children (one of which is my great granddad) plus marriage witnesses
- his marriage document then links him to Philip (again) and Mary Brady of Kimmage. Elizabeth Fitzgerald is a witness

Then:

Michael’s first born, Pauline, the sponsors are Elizabeth Fitzgerald and (where the link to the others appears) William Kerr - he married Dorah Brady who is the sister of the OTHER Michael, son of Philip and Catherine.
So theyre not just random Brady’s, but known/related to each other.

I think it’s just finding Philip and Mary (possibly Marianne) marriage info that might likely unlock some more pieces. Michael’s siblings aren’t so far helping as far as finding any census or other key info. Yet.