Author Topic: St Patricks Balleymoney  (Read 432 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Patricks Balleymoney
« on: Monday 22 May 23 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help.
   I have a baptism of William Taylor at St Patricks Balleymoney 14 Feb 1813 with Parents Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann from Claughey.
   Can anyone tell me if there are any other baptisms for Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann
or maybe a marriage in about 1809 -10.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Patricks Ballymoney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
St. Patrick's, Ballymoney is Church of Ireland. PRONI's Guide to Church Records show that the following records survive and have been microfilmed-
Baptisms, 1807-98; marriages, 1807-45; burials, 1807-88.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide-to-Church-Records-October-2019.pdf
It looks as though RootsIreland (pay site) might have transcripts.
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/county_church_full.php?county=Antrim&search_type=full&denomination=Church%20of%20Ireland
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St Patricks Balleymoney
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey
 Thank you for your response, I had checked the dates for Church records at PRONi and was aware that the dates should cover the records that I am looking for.
    I am not having much success with Rootsireland though. After paying 30 Euros to reinstate my membership for a month they say they have no record for the baptism of William Taylor  with parens Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann from Claughey Ballymoney.
    This is extraordinary as i already have that record from two sources , one specifies St Patricks Church Ballymoney the other just says Ballymoney
 Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
LDS database shows date as 30 Jan.1813. You can browse for the image and also see if other pages have been microfilmed.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5PJ-2YZ
Note: I am surprised that mother's maiden name would have been included at that period.

Added- it is a transcript also- this is the page for William's entry.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZD-LQ37-X?i=503
Says births at top but wonder if it should be dates of baptism.

Happy browsing.

The way the page is laid out I would question whether Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann were actually married at that point.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 23 11:36 BST (UK) »
What do you know of Alexander?

Possible relative?
Jane Taylor marriage with father Alexander
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1847/09322/5375631.pdf

Elizabeth Taylor marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1849/09362/5390290.pdf

Although these are both full age, they may be too old -marrying in 1840s.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 23 12:49 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey
  Thank you that confirms the baptism that i had. i clicked on more similar entries and got the response there are no more entries. But this entry comes from the 1620-1881 baptisms , Not from the Parish Church records. There is also a note on the top right that this record was attatched  in family trees to Alexander Taylor deceased.MCJL-JFK
I note what you say about the possibility of them not being married.
  This William fits to be the father of James Taylor who married Martha Jane Pedan  at Aghadowey, Coleraine in 1868.
  This family of Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann also appear in the dna family tree for a match to a 2nd great grandson of James Taylor above.
  I am trying to find more information on the Alexander Taylor as I suspect that he has come from my own Taylor ancesters at Aird in Antrim. I have a YDNA  match with the great grandson  of the above James Taylor. The experts assure me that we are of the same Taylor family. The Alexander could be the link between us.
  The Alexander Taylor at Claughey does not appear in the Tithe records in 1835 but there is a widow Taylor. He may have moved or died, then again he may not have been a landowner.
   Frustrating with so many possibilities .
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 May 23 13:06 BST (UK) »
Heywood
              thank you for those two Taylor girls marriages with a father Alexander .
I am afraid i cannot read  the Parsh name at the top. They certainly appear as if they are sisters and both of age which means they were over 21, so their births would be in the 1820"s. I think that it might be too long after the baptism of William to be the same Alexander T that I am trying to track.
 I know that there was another Alexander Taylor at Carneatly in 1835
Wyanga

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 May 23 13:14 BST (UK) »
I am afraid i cannot read  the Parsh name at the top.

looks like Rasharkin  to me

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 May 23 13:32 BST (UK) »
I am afraid i cannot read  the Parsh name at the top.

looks like Rasharkin  to me

It looks like Rasharkin to me too!

https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/rasharkin/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo