Author Topic: Re Lawrence Duffy kin 1800 to 1850s  (Read 258 times)

Offline GJDuffer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re Lawrence Duffy kin 1800 to 1850s
« on: Monday 22 May 23 23:06 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather James Joseph Duffy born Monaghan 1832 (Carrickmacross?) arrived North America ~1850, ending up Cobourg Canada, near me in Toronto area.  His parents possibly Lawrence/Laurence and Sarah/Sara (Tracy/Lacy/Leary), Looking for leads to other family siblings to my James if any and siblings to his Lawrence (e.g. Patrick a brother or Patrick a father). So many 'James' and 'Patrick' to figure out. thanks

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Re Lawrence Duffy kin 1800 to 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 23 14:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I can see that Laurence and Sarah are listed on his death certificate from 1911, but I cannot find any evidence he was born in Monaghan, so could you please provide your source for this.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 23 16:33 BST (UK) »
If it was Carrickmacross and the family were Catholic then baptisms start 1836 (possibly too late for James Joseph but maybe siblings) and marriages from 1826 (although parents could have married before that date or in another parish)-
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0293
Note: these don't seem to be any earlier surviving records-
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0293&parish=Magheracloone
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 23 07:47 BST (UK) »
On Family Search there is a death of a 75 year old Laurence Duffy at Castle Blayney.  He would have been born about 1813 and possibly??? old enough to be the father of a child born 1832

Link to a Findagrave site for a Laurence Duffy born 1842
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/169766469/laurence-duffy
This may be useful to help reduce the numbers of Lawrences you may have to search. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 23 09:09 BST (UK) »

On Family Search there is a death of a 75 year old Laurence Duffy at Castle Blayney.

He was a shoemaker and living in Castleblayney. His son John Duffy was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1888/06191/4770198.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline GJDuffer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 23:06 BST (UK) »
my bigger mystery. Thru prabook.com which i found thru Carrickmacross search they identify Fr Francis Patrick Duffy (Irish Canadian American WW1 hero). Born/raised also in Cobourg Ontario 1871 as my great grandfather Daniel James Duffy (1862-1927). This piece says a Patrick Duffy (widower) and his 5 children emigrated to Canada 1845ish and one of these boys was the Patrick (married Mary Ready) who was the dad of Fr Francis Duffy (US army hero). My grandfather Daniel Norman Duffy (1889-1975) said personally to me that Fr Duffy was a cousin and was indeed a neighbour in Cobourg (proven by census 1861 to 1891). Not sure those two ever met though as Fr Duffy went to USA in 1890s. I have not found the blood link unless one of the priest's dad's brothers (of the widower's sons) was my great James Joseph Duffy. The described emigre Patrick (widower) may have had a second name, maybe Lawrence.