Author Topic: 1851 Census records  (Read 709 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census records
« on: Tuesday 23 May 23 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am wondering if it is possible to search for an address in the census records.
My 2xgreat grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Sheppeard once lived at 7 Sackville st, Southsea. I am not familiar to this area but I assume it's in/near/part of Portsmouth. The address was given on birth of son Henry and also on the Allotment of Naval Pension paid to Elizabeth from Charles' wages in 1848/49. I can't find either of them in the 1851 census. I assume Charles was off somewhere on a sea voyage withthe Navy, but where was Elizabeth? Can i see who was living at 7 Sackville st Southsea at the time?
The Sheppeards emmigrated to Australia in 1853, so I am only interested in 1851.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 08:01 BST (UK) »
HO107/1659 folio 202 page 18 - Sackville Street, Portsea

No street numbers but there is an Elizabeth Shepherd, unmarried, head of household aged 22, Dressmaker, born Portsea.

For some reason there is a gap in the transcriptions on FindMyPast where Elizabeth and a couple of other names are missing.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
The address was given on birth of son Henry and also on the Allotment of Naval Pension paid to Elizabeth from Charles' wages in 1848/49.

When was son Henry born - before 1851 census or after? 

When did they marry?  In case she was under her maiden name in error.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 17:42 BST (UK) »
For anyone trying to help  :)

They married in 1848 - Charles Fisher Sheppeard to Elizabeth Wells a widow - nee Holland

ADDED
Henry's birth
SHEPPEARD, HENRY  CHARLES FISHER    mmn HOLLAND 
GRO Reference: 1848  December Quarter in PORTSEA ISLAND UNION  Volume 07  Page 143
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Holland married Edward Wells (occ Baker) in 1842 Portsea her father was named as John Holland occ Mariner.  At that time they were both resident at West Street

In 1841 Elizabeth was living with the 'Wells' family presumably Edwards parents, he was also there.  Her age was given as 20 born in County (Hampshire)
H0107/414 bk3 f29 p15

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 18:06 BST (UK) »
They married in 1848 - Charles Fisher Sheppeard to Elizabeth Wells a widow - nee Holland

ADDED
Henry's birth
SHEPPEARD, HENRY  CHARLES FISHER    mmn HOLLAND 
GRO Reference: 1848  December Quarter in PORTSEA ISLAND UNION  Volume 07  Page 143

Henry died in 1850
SHEPPEARD, HENRY  CHARLES FISHER    AGE 1 
GRO Reference: 1850  J Quarter in PORTSEA ISLAND UNION  Volume 07  Page 110

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 23 03:51 BST (UK) »

No street numbers but there is an Elizabeth Shepherd, unmarried, head of household aged 22, Dressmaker, born Portsea.

For some reason there is a gap in the transcriptions on FindMyPast where Elizabeth and a couple of other names are missing.

Thankyou so much for looking. I tried trolling through all the Portsea census records until I found folio or page number 202 and see a Caroline Kemp at no. 62 Sackville st., age 22, dressmaker, but no Elizabeth Sheppeard. Am I looking at the same page?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 23 03:53 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Holland married Edward Wells (occ Baker) in 1842 Portsea her father was named as John Holland occ Mariner.  At that time they were both resident at West Street

In 1841 Elizabeth was living with the 'Wells' family presumably Edwards parents, he was also there.  Her age was given as 20 born in County (Hampshire)
H0107/414 bk3 f29 p15
Yes, thankyou - I have these certificates.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 May 23 04:43 BST (UK) »

Thankyou so much for looking. I tried trolling through all the Portsea census records until I found folio or page number 202 and see a Caroline Kemp at no. 62 Sackville st., age 22, dressmaker, but no Elizabeth Sheppeard. Am I looking at the same page?

It’s the very next page.
BTW
62 is not the house number, it’s the number of the householder’s schedule.

The 22 yr old Elizabeth’s schedule is 65.