Author Topic: 1851 Census records  (Read 710 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 May 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
HO107/1659 folio 202 page 18 - Sackville Street, Portsea

No street numbers but there is an Elizabeth Shepherd, unmarried, head of household aged 22, Dressmaker, born Portsea.

For some reason there is a gap in the transcriptions on FindMyPast where Elizabeth and a couple of other names are missing.

Thankyou so much for looking. I tried trolling through all the Portsea census records until I found folio or page number 202 and see a Caroline Kemp at no. 62 Sackville st., age 22, dressmaker, but no Elizabeth Sheppeard. Am I looking at the same page?

It’s the very next page.
BTW
62 is not the house number, it’s the number of the householder’s schedule.

The 22 yr old Elizabeth’s schedule is 65.

Thanks again, now I have found it!
I'm fairly sure that's her, even though the age is way out and she was married.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 12:32 BST (UK) »
Noting from the Census records that Elizabeth stated her birthplace as Portsea, I have been looking again for her birth records as I wasn't happy with the one I had before. I had Elizabeth Holland as the child of John and Sarah Holland born in Chelsea, in 1816. (When Elizabeth died in 1901 her age was stated as 84)
Now I have found two other possibilities for 1816:
Elizabeth Holland born in Portsmouth, baptised 20 Mar 1816 at St Thomas and her mother is Sarah. No more info given (on Ancestry)
Also, Elizabeth Holland 31 Oct 1816 in Alverstoke, Hampshire, mother Elizabeth. No other details.
I am inclined to go for the Portsmouth birth.
When Elizabeth Married Edward Wells in 1842, her father is noted as John Holland and a 'Mariner'
Her husband Edw Wells died in 1843 and Elizabeth then married Charles Fisher Sheppeard in 1848.
On the marriage records, her father is again noted as John, Carpenter RN and one of the witnesses was Sarah Ann Holland, maybe her mother?
Anyway, is there any way of getting more details from the two birth records to help me determine which one is the more likely?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 June 23 22:53 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I found this Priosn register which says that Charles Fisher SHEPPEARD arrived in Australia in 1850, maybe he and Elizabeth left then so are not on the 1851 census?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7V9C-79W2

With a photo, so lucky :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 12:57 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I found this Priosn register which says that Charles Fisher SHEPPEARD arrived in Australia in 1850, maybe he and Elizabeth left then so are not on the 1851 census?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7V9C-79W2

With a photo, so lucky :)

Regards,
Daisy
Thanks Daisy,
I have seen this before, although I didn't realize it is now online.
The date of arrival is incorrect, it was 1853 and the ship was the 'Tancred' not the Tankerd, but this was a clue that led me to find the true records!
So, the Sheppeards were in Portsmouth in 1851, and I have now found the census records.

Going back to my latest query, I am trying to determine which Elizabeth Holland born in 1816 is my ancestor.