Author Topic: Robb and Carnegie in Fettercairn and Fordoun and Laurencekirk  (Read 200 times)

Offline valb63

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robb and Carnegie in Fettercairn and Fordoun and Laurencekirk
« on: Wednesday 24 May 23 07:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on James Robb who married Isobel Carnegie in 1775 in Laurencekirk. I believe they were both born in Fordoun.  They were buried in Fettercairn and there is a tombstone there erected by Isobel and names of her husband James and children Mary, Ann, James, David and Charles.   James was a shopkeeper in Laurencekirk and his son James took over the shop from him.  Charles was a doctor in Laurencekirk.  Charles married Elizabeth Paterson and she left Laurencekirk after his death in 1820.

I am trying to find parents for both James and Isobel.  James was possibly born in 1730 to David Robb and Helen Thomson in Fordoun but I have no way of knowing if this is correct.  Isobel Carnegie was born to John Carnegie but there are two baptism records, one in 1745 and one in 1748, both in Fordoun.  The "History of the Parish and Burgh of Laurencekirk" says she was the daughter of the tenant of Dronimyre but I have found no other record of that.  It also says her sister Jane married George Croll but the only marriage of a Croll to a Carnegie is Margaret Carnegie.  This couple had a son David Croll and there is a nephew David Croll who is mentioned in Isobel's will.  I wonder if she was connected with the Pittarrow Carnegies as she left quite a sum of money in her will. (died in 1823).

Any suggestions for further research would be much appreciated.  Thank you

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robb and Carnegie in Fettercairn and Fordoun and Laurencekirk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello & Welcome.

Seems a bit old for James to have been born 1730 and then marry at age 45 in 1775 and have son Charles in 1786 (age 56). Of course it's possible ... not unheard of.

I can't seem to find any other children for James Robb and Isobel Carnegie except Charles 12/10/1786. Curious what years Mary , David , Ann and James were born. Wondering what is the year of their last child's birth?

Also , what year did James Robb die and what age does it say he was on the grave?

I see this James Robb grave but it doesn't mention the wife:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/235266627/james-robb

When you zoom in on the stone you can see Charles there and Isobel...

I guess the biggest problem is the fact that there are 2 other James Robbs born at the time within a 25 mile radius. There is James Robb 11/10/1730 Fourdoun ...and then there is one in 1732 in Drumoak and one in 1731 at Cortatchy.

The thing about the Fourdon one is the father's name is David and from what you say James Robb also had a son named the same.

You probably saw this ?

David Robb
Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Christening:  Jan 22 1698 - Fordoun, Kincardine, Scotland
    Father:  David Robb

A line of David Robbs from Fourdon.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.