Author Topic: Sudden death in East Keswick  (Read 198 times)

Offline Idris47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sudden death in East Keswick
« on: Wednesday 24 May 23 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm a researcher based in Western Australia. My great grandfather, Joshua Barrett, died in East Keswick on 13 September 1902. I've been able to obtain a copy of the death certificate and I've discovered he died by his own hand. I assume there was an inquest of some kind and would like to get a copy of a coroner's report or similar but I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm hoping to find out more about the circumstances of his death. Any suggestions welcome.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden death in East Keswick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Idris47

There is a reference in the Leeds Mercury newspaper of 12 September 1902:

A supposed case of suicide has been reported to the York Coroner - that of Joshua Barrett, aged 63 years, of East Keswick, a butcher.

No more information, but at least you now know where the Coroner was if any further info is available.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 10:35 BST (UK) »
A report in the Yorkshire Evening Post, September 11, 1902 says that he had been much depressed of late due to business worry. His wife found him hanging from a hook in the butcher’s shop adjoining their residence.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 10:40 BST (UK) »
Have just seen this article from the Yorkshire Evening Post of 11 September 1902 which gives a little more information:

SUICIDE AT EAST KESWICK

The particulars of a very determined suicide were reported to the York Coroner this morning. It seems that yesterday afternoon Mrs Barrett, the wife of a butcher named Joshua Barrett, went into the shop adjoining her residence at East Keswick, when she found her husband hanging by the neck from a hook in the ceiling, He was quite dead. It seems he had been much depressed of late, due to business worry.

There are quite a few articles but the one above might go some way to clarifying the circumstances.

Oops Davedrave you got there before me - whilst I was typing!

Offline Idris47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 12:44 BST (UK) »
That's all very helpful, thank you. I might follow up with the York coroner to see if I can get some more details.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 13:02 BST (UK) »
Contact Details for North Yorkshire County Record Office:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a/A13532167